Duck/Goose hunting trip

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by graybow77, Nov 23, 2018.

1. graybow77

graybow77 Refuge Member

looking to take my boys to Canada early October next year. Is that a good time and does anyone have an outfitter they recommend? Thanks

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

It can be a very good time in the right places. Canada is a pretty good size place...you may want to narrow down any area a bit more.

I don’t use a guide so can’t help you with that.

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I guided for Birdtail Waterfowl this past year. Paul the owner has a fantastic operation, each group has their own beautiful cabin and the food was outstanding (made by a Red Seal Chef!). Lots of great opportunities for duck, goose and Sandhill Crane hunts. Word has gotten out and Paul is already booking into 2020, because 2019 is already sold out! (You could maybe be put on a waiting list).

https://www.birdtailwaterfowl.com/

4. pfpres

pfpres Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted with Paul two times. It's a first class operation with outstanding hunting! :tu

Chris Benson likes this.
  5. Talan king

Talan king New Member

Check out Northern Winds Outfitting in Alberta

6. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Take it from a guy who has over 40+ yrs hunting in AB and SK....both freelance and w/ guides. Arguably the 2 best in AB are Ongaro Outfitters and Black Dog Outfitters. I lean toward Black Dog...better personal service, not as crowded as Ongaro, only 70 mi west of Edmonton Airport(they pick you up and bring you back), shoot a lot more specs than Ongaro, keep you busy all day hunting(ie. AM goose shoot, PM duck shoot and after let's say 2 days you want something different in PM they will take you upland bird hunting), and you can't beat the owner, Blaine Burns(retired DU field biologist)...super-super guy.

7. DUCKIES1

DUCKIES1 Senior Refuge Member

I will be heading to Bird Tail Waterfowl in mid October. A birthday present from my 4 children. My hunting partners hunted with them last year
    and had an Awesome time.

8. Chris Benson

I will probably see you there DUCKIES1, maybe even be guiding you!

9. DUCKIES1

DUCKIES1 Senior Refuge Member

That would be nice to get to hunt with another refuge member Chris. We are scheduled to begin our hunt Oct.14th I believe.
    I'm told we will do a goose hunt in the am then a duck hunt in the pm with a different guide for the AM/PM hunts so we get
    2 chances at you for our guide. What ammo shot size do you suggest in 12ga. 3".

10. Chris Benson

That's a really good time of year to come up, should be good number of birds around. Yes, all the guides scout their own fields. Last year I was a duck guide and we got up early every morning and went scouting before sunrise for about 6 hours. We hopefully get permission and then after the morning goose hunt, we go duck hunting in the evening. 3" 1 1/8oz #2 shot is the standard, and is good for both geese and ducks, but some guys use #BB's in the morning and #3's or #4's in the evening.