Duck Hunting out of a Kayak

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by MQ, Jan 4, 2011.

1. MQ

MQ Senior Refuge Member

I have been considering purchasing a kayak to hunt some ponds. Trying to figure out the best design. I would want to shoot directly out of the kayak. I would like to ask those of you who do this to provide some insight.

Sit-in vs. sit-on?
    Short (whitewater type) vs. long?
    Single vs tandem?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. ducksinthekayak

ducksinthekayak Senior Refuge Member

Sit-on-top is the way to go. Much more stable and easier to get in and out of, plus easier to shoot from. I'm a much better shot from my kayak than when I'm standing up but with the kayak you are limited to which way you can shoot so decoy set-up and wind direction are very important.

3. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Some of the best models aren't made any more. Old Town made 2 in particular...an Ambush...a huge wide sit on top that you could stand in to shoot and even work a dog out of. The Mad Duck has one of these. Then there was the Predator. That was more of a sit in kayak with a very large ****pit opening.

I prefer the Native Ultimate 14.5. The boat is incredibly stable, as open as you want it to be...totally, unless you want to add some skirts to it. It also has by far the most comfortable seat on the market. I also have a Native Magic 14.5...a real sit on top. It will haul a ton and is still fast enough to get you there and back without wearing yourself out.

Try and find a boat that is around 28 -32 inches wide to shoot out of. THe wider, the more stable...but also slower. That Ambush is something like 44 inches wide, so you can see why you can stand and shoot from it.

Check out my sponsor.

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

It's the out part that's scary. Duck hunting from a kayak sounds like fun, though.

5. dg

dg Senior Refuge Member

I own 4 kayaks and A Carsten Puddler. None of them do it all. I would go wide & long if you choose a kayak. Wide for stability & length for hauling gear. Sit-on-Tops are easier to get on/off. Sit-Ins provide ****pit cover that you could put layout doors on ... But in that case I'd go with AquaPod or similar.

I see you live in California? You might look for a used Cobra Fish-n-Dive(sot)mfgd in your state. I really like mine , 12.5 feet, 36" wide, 600 lb capacity. I carry 2 doz deeks, gun, large gear bag, food, extra gloves, etc., spinner/pole, camo cover & fast grass in tank hull along with other odds ends.. paddle a mile of lake shoreline 10 degree northeast January weather light chop & feel very safe. It will not tip over. I'd litterally fall off before it tips. I would have no reservations shooting out of it but I always pull it on shore. Not the fastest, but I keep up with canoes just fine. Cali guys use them for ocean fishing & scuba diving.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have four duckboats, one is a 15ft Stalker (made by OSP, but no more). It's a big sit-in, kayake-type boat and everything dg says is true. I also own an 8' AquaPod. It has its uses, but is no substitute for a kayak.

7. BEARDMAN

BEARDMAN Senior Refuge Member

You consider looking into a march rat? Check out mallard marine, they have 2 models/sizes you can look into. Both ate great and work like a kayak/layout blind. We feel very comfortable in them for hunting back water.
    I am not sure what capacity you are going to be using it, might give it a look!

8. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Maybe consider a creek boat?

creekboats.com

9. VA marsh rat

VA marsh rat Senior Refuge Member

I hunt out of a wilderness systems Tarpon 140. Its 14' long and 28" and weighs about 70 pounds, I can put it on the roof of my truck with some effort. I usually drag it onto shore to shoot out of. I haven't tried shooting in open water yet. I want to try to stabilize the thing in shallow water by sticking a long stake thru one of the scupper holes.
    A well mannered dog will sit in the tankwell behind the paddler without any problems. Decoys can be strapped to the front, and I'm also going to experiment with towing a toboggan type sled full of decoys.
    my brother has the camo version, I have the sand version, but i have done a good spray paint job since the pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

How do you hide those white paddles while you are actually hunting?