Duck Hunting the lower Mississippi River

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Redlabhunter, Oct 10, 2017.

1. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Here in ford co Kansas the banks of the ark are sixty ft wide at the widest yet the OHWM is a quarter mile wide. A lot of landowners have tried to dispute this but after educating the county attorney and the county commissioners it goes nowhere.

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Thats great you wait until it gets to 48 come on down here and I'll show you exactly where you can kill as many mallards as you want. Tell them boys at Giles Island I said hello. Hell, you might make their tv show

3. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Heck, I'm just trying to figure out how all us fools living under that 75' elevation can get out of paying taxes on land that belongs to the state.

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

There's probably so many feeders on that ground the feds would bust you for shooting over bait on the far side of the river.

5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Dude you are wasting your good air. :scratch

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. jhallmark5841

jhallmark5841 Refuge Member

Well despite the 17 pages of negativity I just read through, I'm probably going to give the big river a shot sometime this year if it stays low. I have hunted it around Venice but I want to try it out around Vicksburg. If any of you local guys want to tag along I have a 20ft godevil, huge pile of decoys and layout blinds for the sandbars. PM me and we'll set something up.

7. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

HAHAHA!! you must be really stupid. cant even understand what you are told. OHWM is 75 feet. but not on the gage. lol. mean elevation is a really important phrase you neglected to include. gage elevation is 46.23 feet. 75-46.23 = the OHWM of 28.77 feet on the gage or 75 feet mean elevation (75 feet above sea level)

natchez is 17.28 datum height (another term for zeroed mean elevation). 51-17.28= 33.72 (on the gage) OHWM.

current levels are 18.41 and 25.2 respectively. meaning that the river at Vck. is 10.36' below the OHWM and the Ntz. is 8.52' below OHWM.

think i'm wrong?? call em again and ask for natchez ms. and tiptonville tn. IF you get 51' again for ntz, tpt will be in excess of 260'

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Hot dam the whole state of Arkansas will be underwater, and according to gadwall52 we can hunt the whole thing legally!

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I’m gonna go ahead and say that if the whole state goes underwater, noones gonna stop them boys from hunting where ever they damn well please. And yes, they will still try and hunt it.