Duck skiff blind ideas

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Gbduckin, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Gbduckin

Gbduckin New Member

Hey guys i have a 12 ft. Skiff i am trying to build a blind for any ideas would be helpful

2. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

My best advice (and I have a 12 footer that I use occasionally) would be to use the boat to get to a hunting spot and hunt from the shore. 90 % of my use of the 12 foot skiff is in water that i can stand up in incase of an accident. I only use it on calm days, and wear a life jacket at all times.
    Most 12 foot skiff are not stable enough to erect a blind on. Safety is my number one concern when on the water, especially when it's cold enough to cause hypothermia quickly.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

most guys put a set of blind doors on the small layout boats and use it like you would a layout blind. make a back board with a cushion and something on the floor to keep your butt of the bottom of the boat. stubble straps on the doors or bungees. brush them in and you are good to go. the ducks won't know you are there

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. NR

NR Elite Refuge Member

Get a copy of Successful Waterfowling by Zack Taylor. Page 158, Jonboat Barge Blind would be good. Trying to put a "tall" blind on a little boat doesn't work well. Most people also don't realize how easily a small boat hides if you have decent cover like cattails or brush. No clue what kind of cover you're looking to hide in.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I took Zack Taylors plans and built side decks with flip boards on my 16 foot jon boat that worked great for about 15 years. Front deck too . grassed everything with cord grass right from the marsh. Just finished fixing up a 1940's BBSB so I took the decks off the jon boat just this past season also cause the front deck was rotted. Definitely check out Taylor's plans.

6. sdhunter

sdhunter Senior Refuge Member

Years ago, I used to hunt from a Coleman Crawdad. If I hunted from the boat away from shore in some tules or something, I just laid down in it and draped some military camo netting all around the edges. If against a shoreline, just grabbed some branches and broke up the outline. I killed a lot of ducks from that little boat.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Gbduckin

Gbduckin New Member

I believe it is a carston pintail skiff