Duckwater vs. Bankes Boats?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by NWh2ofowlr, Dec 19, 2011.

1. NWh2ofowlr

NWh2ofowlr Elite Refuge Member

I am probably bringing up an old debate that has gone on for years, but am in the market for buying a new duck boat. Just looking for the best info on both. I have looked at both through web sites and both are expensive, but both seem like great boats.
    Bankes and Duckwater boat owners both swear by there boats. Like the Ford vs. Chevy debate.
    My question I guess would be, why would you not buy one or the other? I am looking at a 19-21'. I am looking to hunt puddle ducks, divers and sea ducks. The bays are mud or sand and the straits are rocky. I am located in Washington state and we see -4' to a +12' tide swings at varying parts of the year. Big water can kick up quick. Which boat would be a good option? I have talked to two local guides one with Bankes and one with a Duckwater that both rant about there boats. The nice thing about Bankes is no repaint needed. We also get into the glass vs. aluminum debate. Any info would be appreciated.

2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Have you looked into Olde Town canoes?

3. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

:scratch

4. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I was also comparing the two over the weekend. I am looking at the sea Class 18 (Shooting 4-5 Hunters) on the Columbia River (Kennewick). The Banks is fiberglass and the Duckwater being aluminum. Duckwater claims fiberglass boats my crack over time while loading and unloading from a trailer. Both are versitile for the duck hunter and I am leaning towards a Duckwater since there are many places to repair aluminum in the area as opposed to fiberglass if I have a problem. It would be nice to hear the likes and dislikes from those who run these boats. I'm also curious as to how well they handle cutting trough ice.

I also looked at the manufactures for the Seattle Boat Show at the end of January and did not see either one listed. On another note there were some new Outlaw 18's in a storage in Spokane a year ago. They wanted close to new prices and I couldn't see spending that kind of money for a boat that is no longer supported by a manufacturer

5. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Buy the Bankes.
    The Duckwaters I have been in should have come with a grinder to knock the edges off the welds.
    They 2 I was in were ROUGH to say the least.

The 19' Bankes I hunted from was SWEET.

Compairing the two was like compairing a cadilac to a vega.

6. duckdog98604

duckdog98604 Elite Refuge Member

Why not just get a raptor or a scout and have them make a removable hard blind???? Multi purpose and handle water way better than both combined !:scratch

7. IdahoMike

IdahoMike Senior Refuge Member

As the previous owner of a 2007 DW Apache I could not agree more with Meats :yes

8. murdock84

murdock84 Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2011 Ocean 18 that I received in July/August area. So far it has been great. It takes way less water then what everyone thought it would when they saw it. I can't complain about the welds. They look fine to me and I haven't found any spots that I would cut myself or anything like that on it. From what I have read and saw the new boats are better fit and finish than the older boats. Duckwater Boats is using new technology to put the boats together. No more building a boat from nothing. CADD plans were made for the boats and they are cut out with a plasma cutter now.

My reason for choosing Duckwater over Bankes was because the Duckwater was aluminum. I hunt a rocky area and tying a fiberglass boat up to the rocks does not sound like a good plan. Anyone that runs a fiberglass boat around my area stays downriver where the bottom is sand/silt or deep. Jeff Coats has some good video of him braking ice with his Bankes so I know they can do it. It appears to do it well, but I am kind of leary of braking ice with fiberglass. My Duckwater has an "icebreaker" welded onto the front that appears that I could run the boat into a rock and the rock would split. Bankes does have a good looking boat and looks smooth as well. If I ever had to, I could get aluminum fixed quicker than fiberglass around here as well.

Steve at Duckwater said he will be updating his website so look for some new pictures. If you look at the Ocean 18 on his sight, mine is the one with the 150 Merc on it. Under the construction there are pictures of an Ocean 18 built just before mine as well.

9. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

I think the Bankes boats have a layer of kevlar so ice should not be an issue.

10. metaluno67

metaluno67 Elite Refuge Member

In my opinion Duckwater is the way to go with the areas you'll be hunting If you have any questions give Steve Hoover a call. I know a lot of the east coast guides run Duckwater and have nothing but good to say about them.
    As far as construction, bring these issues up to Steve and he can clear up any doubt.
    [​IMG]