Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. por boy

por boy Senior Refuge Member

Today I was at the river and the swallows were lined up thick on the high lines.
    They are migrating already.
    I have only seen this once before in 1979 and we had a hard winter.
    Our duck hole froze up early.

So it will be interesting.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

3. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Not looking like an early winter around here... Just about every day for the last month has been 95+ (with about half of those being 100 or more) and the long-range forecast is saying we'll have more of the same for at least the next 2 weeks.

4. seiowa

seiowa Senior Refuge Member

Heat heat and more heat here and the humidity has been awful. Id gladly fire up the plow tomorrow if it meant we were done with this crap.

ronaldo, DaPutts and J.Bennett like this.
  5. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

I hope we have a winter this year. Last year we had pretty much none.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

We could certainly use a cool winters breeze here to , as the mid-days heat has been at a 100 plus !
    This weeks temps are forecasted to be 97 all through the week , maybe I can get something done !

7. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Everything is pointing to a colder or early winter this year. I've noticed we are basically on a 2 year cycle. We are due for cool weather. Guys are still killing walleye in 15' water on Lake Huron which is not normal at all. They should be in deeper cooler water by now but water temps are running around 70* keeping them shallow.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. seiowa

seiowa Senior Refuge Member

I have not owned or ridden a snowmobile since 2007. It never snows more than 3 inches anymore, usually its followed by 45 degree daytime highs, and when it DOES snow more than 3" the wind and the cold make it so you dont wanna do anything.

We either have winter storms or 45 degrees. In 2011 or 2012, cant remember which, it snowed maybe 3-4 times and the most was 2-3"...the other times were usually <1". And temp wise it stayed in yhe 38-42 range for probably 80+% of the winter.

9. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

We didn't have any winter here last year until Thanksgiving...big game hunting season was terrible. I was hunting elk last fall the week of Thanksgiving in short sleeves. When winter did finally come, WOW. We had 8" of snow on the ground continuously from Thanksgiving until the end of February.

10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Ditto for us in eastern Washington. The winter that didn't want to end. First real winter we've had in years if not a decade.