Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Another beautiful morning here in the mitten! IMG_3713.JPG

2. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

It was 35 here Thursday night. The trees have more colour now than they have had for opener in past years.

buck_master_2001 and Vahunter like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

AHHHH !!!
    Back down into the 80' and 90's , 60's 70's at night, MUCH, MUCH, NICER !:yes:tu

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

That's awesome. Next two nights are forecasted to be down to 40-44. These mornings feel amazing. The cold air in the lungs is a nice welcoming to fall. I've noticed the fall colors seem to be way ahead this year.

5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Drove me and wife down to Wendover, Nev just 'cause she wanted to try slots there. Nicked 'em for $750 so that was good, but drive was so smoky we couldn't see anything but the road ahead of us. We drove home this morning and a front was pushing in and we found out the smoke wasn't hiding anything because there isn't anything but salt flats as far as the eye can see after the smoke was gone!
    Looks like a few rain drops are pushing our way finally. Temps are forecast to top out at about 72* next week with mid to low 40*s for lows.
    About time!

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  6. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

When I start hunting this weekend in NV it will be in the 30's to start, most likely...

7. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Here in western Nebraska Tuesday morning we had widespread mid 30s. Several spots hit 32 and they had 29 at the Alliance airport where the records are kept. A handful of times during winter Alliance will have the lower 48 coldest low for the morning. Anyway, it was 34 where I live and it felt wonderful. I've actually gone to work with a hoodie 3 mornings in a row.

8. Fsbirdhouse

We have rain pushing up our way from Nevada and forecasted temp drops of 30*s from highs of two days ago. High 80*s to highs of mid-50*s.
    Autumn is coming to E Idaho by tomorrow morning if it holds up!

This morning, at least a thousand local geese came over the house on their way back to their roost along the Snake river across the street from the house.
    Really gets a guys blood up!

letmwurk and Flyfisher like this.
  9. Fsbirdhouse

And so the rains did, at last, come in good measure.
    It is raining now.
    Weatherman says Snow can be expected on the peaks surrounding the Snake River Plain by morning, and if I drive only 5 minutes North I can see the highest Peaks of the Tetons, and I know they will be white by first light tomorrow.

Talked to a landlord of property that I consider one of my two best for waterfowl, and that is tied up exclusively for another season at least.
    The other property I do not have exclusively, but it is behind a locked gate, and only a phone call away just about any time I want to hunt it.
    The numbers of geese that use, and traffic across it are amazing. We regularly get limits or near limits for rather large numbers hunters having a seat in the blind during the season.
    The coming season promises to be a very good one!

letmwurk likes this.
  10. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Very nice,anytime you need a buddy me and my son are just a short 8 hours away.zWe dream of what you have,not to many geese here 500 to 1000 on a good year and even less property to hunt.A lot of what little there is mostly belongs to non hunting types.We did get a decent place to shoot doves and if any geese migrate through he said we could hunt them,but it's a long shot.Looking forward to everyone having a great and Safe season. Mike.