Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Typical July weather here in TN, BUT I flushed my first sora (rail) last week which is three weeks early. Other birders found pied-billed grebes last week which is a month plus early. Now there is one nesting sora record in the state and several pied-billed grebe records so there is some chance they aren't migrants.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I don't know.
    The Elderberries are normally in full bloom here in N.E. WA by the third week of June -- but this year they still aren't in full bloom

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

It was another warm winter for us here in the Great Lakes. Winters continue to get warmer/ more erratic.

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

For what its worth it seems to me like its a law of averages.

Everything seems to average out. The Summers that are the warmest are followed by the colder winters. Mild summers have also had mild winters.

I am at the point where I say nothing is average. Like our average rainfall for July is 3.5 inches. This evening we got 2 inches. First rain in 3 or 3 1/2 weeks. Corn has shriveled up pretty good. Seems like with the crop insurance it was always last day or 2 of the quarter we got a storm that got us to an accepted rainfall level so we didn't get insurance. Even though it was drought conditions.

If we have steady rain it continues. If it gets dry it stays dry then we get a huge storm.....

Curious how any other farmers see it.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Last Winter was the snowiest in 32 years we've been in E Idaho starting about the week before Christmas day, but Christmas day we got over 18 inches and continuous after that which ended my hunt a month early.
    Couldn't get off plowed roads with my decoy trailer. Even the truck alone was problematic!

Seems like a really hot, dry July, but they often are hot of course, just not this dry.
    I wouldn't count out another wet Winter here, but I hope it's not like last Winter.
    I'll bet they are hoping for 'wet' again in California!

In two and a half weeks I expect to see the start of the leaf change along the banks of the Snake river here in town. A few trees only, but that's the way it starts, and I am always glad to see it, even if it is still August

6. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Bring it on, NOW! Heat index over 100 here today.

7. h.hobsen

h.hobsen Senior Refuge Member

Our corn is almost high enough to draw a big storm to blow it all down ....

stevena198301 and seiowa like this.
  8. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Last winter it only rained twice here all season. The first time was Oct 3rd to Dec 12th and the 2nd time was Jan 7th to May 17th. The time between it never got above freezing so we had snow and ice, instead.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Mother Nature just has a way of changing the rules of what mankind thinks .
    She'll have it her way even if it should be the other way around , I suppose ?

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I don't care what it does. I'm no longer interned in the People's Republic of Communist California so whatever happens it's worth it. :l