Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The swallowtail kites have been migrating south for several weeks now. Seems a bit early but I haven't lived here long enough to have a perspective. Pretty cool to see 10-20 circling kites, gorgeous birds.

Should start seeing a major push of teal headed to Cuba in a few weeks.

I'll try to head out in the next week to see if there are any early birds.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

High today here 102, tomorrow 104 Saturday 105 I don't think anybody's contemplating winter yet.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I don't know how to explain it but things I see in the outdoors this to year seem to point to a colder winter,water in places there is usually or little this time of year,birds I usually don't see until September are around,Bass biting real hard yesterday (oh boy oh boy )and just earlier andore monsoon than usual.Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

TempToday.jpg

As of a few minutes ago... Humidity has dropped WAAAYYYY down from what it was yesterday. We'll talk about winter in Oct here, maybe...

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

upload_2017-7-20_16-12-28.png

NC

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

It has been a really cool year here. Currently 83. Have only had a few days over 90 and that didn't start until late May/early June when we would have expected it in April.

And unlike recent years we had a normal dry season and now we are having a normal wet season except for one huge storm event of 30".

7. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

and here I am thinking por boy done started a thread about game of thrones :eek::scratch

8. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Nice sized Bass on bite today early.
    Have not caught them in July quite like this morning.
    IMG_1762.JPG

9. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Refuge Member

My man up in Big Fork has reported similar conditions but he's a trout fisherman so it prolongs his season.

What has been noted on the Mississippi Flyway, is that there are more birds, migrating shorter distances. So at the bottom of the Flyway the mallard is a rare bird, while the pintail is at best a late-season migrator. The migratory-Canada goose which historically migrated to the Mouth of the River during the 1950s - doesn't come here any more. And they're almost a no-show in Southern Illinois & Ballard County Kentucky!

10. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Refuge Member

The Purple Martin density directly correlates with the rapid expansion of a given mosquito population. It is also interesting to note that mosquito populations have a direct relationship with rainfall, and that insects carrying the West Nile virus are being reported further, and further north of the Gulf of Mexico.