Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Why is that?

2. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Long term forecast says the El Nino is weak this summer so that forecasts a severe winter for the upper midwest.

3. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

It doesn't happen often, but I have been on three opening day hunts about the first Saturday in Oct when we hunted in a Blizzard. I mean a real Blizzard, not just a small snowstorm.
    But thereafter the weather became more what we would expect for the rest of season.
    Anything can happen at any time.

4. portahunter

portahunter Elite Refuge Member

Have been seeing love bugs the last two days which we normally don't see except in the fall and spring. Daytime highs have been a little more mild than average so far this summer with the frequent rains so that may have something to do with it.

5. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Pretty good cool front coming this weekend. I expect to see the first teal show up.

6. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the info. I'll take my gun on the pontoon this weekend. :nutz

7. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Longleaf pines dropping needles heavier in July than normal.

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Don't know if this has anything to do with anything but the pignut hickory trees on my property have been dropping nuts for at least three weeks. Some shagbarks as well. I can hear squirrels cutting back in the woods. A few walnuts have dropped but the squirrels don't eat those as much.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Went across the street yesterday with the Lab to let him cool off with a swim in the Snake river.
    I don't normally name trees, but I have given one a title. I call it the 'Bellwether' as it is the first tree in our area that begins to transition to the yellows and golds of Autumn. It sits hard by the road that Leads to Jake's swimming hole, and yesterday I pulled up to take a look at it's leaves.
    Here and there a few are already beginning to change. The roots of this tree are practically sitting in water, so it's not dying, but changing to Autumn colors as can be seen in picture I took yesterday.
    IMG_1763.JPG
    The wild Sunflowers are already in full bloom as well, and many are much larger than those seen here.
    IMG_1766.JPG

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I'm hoping for an early fall at least. Getting married in mid September, outdoor wedding. The bride and I would prefer it not be 105 out. She wanted a spring wedding, but that didn't work out because of some medical issues some close family members were dealing with at the time