Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

2. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Make sure you save this story to see if it really comes true or not. My company subscribes to a weather forecasting service for around $60k per year. They are constantly sending 1-2 month outlooks with temps and precip forecasts. I save them and compare to what really happens, it's quite comical how bad we are getting ripped off.

J.SCOTT and Iowa like this.
  4. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Here in my northeast corner of the States temps have already dipped into the mid-to-low 40's a few times overnight, combined with the late. start to summer with a cold spring it has been an incredibly quick warm season. Weather the last week or so has felt more like it should in September, not July which is making me start to wonder.

The good thing is crops are on par or even a little ahead of where they could be at this time even with a somewhat later start to planting. Been great growing weather, and the grain is in the early stages of turning color. I am expecting a good amount to be cut and should the cold continue and spill into the daytime prior to opening day then we could be shooting some very early migrators, at the very least resident geese will have bunched up and should be easy to find a feed.

Scouting for grain, touching base with the farmers whose land I hunt on every year and securing new permissions for others since June is getting old...Ready for grain to start coming down and the birds to fly a little at this point.

5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Oh Honker ace!
    Never get tired of those activities you listed. They are part of the package deal. They are the way we extend the celebration of the hunt.
    I try to make contact with my property landlords thru this time of heat, months before the actual hunt. I try to find out what crops they will have in the fields this Fall and Winter, and let them know I still want permission to hunt.
    Sometimes this heat can knock a guy down, but ya gotta try to stay on top.
    Time is short!

6. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Oh, not getting tired of them in that way, just ready for everything to come to fruition and begin reaping the fruits of my labor...Or geese. It is more akin to a minor league prospect appearing in the Majors for his first game, just ready for it to happen an cannot contain the excitement. Although there is still some prep work to be done, working on a new storage set-up for last year's enclosed trailer purchase.

Back on topic, I am fully expecting an early winter here, although when you only get June to maybe September because the other 8 months have been snowing or just plain cold, and then start throwing cool nights in during summer - it surprises nobody here I am trying to relocate out to the Midwest. Wind aside (we routinely get 30 to 40 below in the winter here as well because of it), I read your annual weather statistics and just laugh at this point.

7. Fsbirdhouse

Sounds like Alaska weather to me.
    8 months cold is what I remember.

8. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

55 this morning in Cooperstown...

[​IMG]

Better get your coats on order.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Our ten day forecast sees mid 50*s every day for the lows, but it's now forecast to climb back into mid 80*s - low 90*s, and that is the Fly in the Buttermilk.
    Still, just watch August! It's the month where those high temps develop late in the day, and then begin to cool off soon after Sundown.
    I still hate the heat of August, but in two weeks, if not sooner, the changes will start to become apparent. Slowly at first, but if you watch, a few trees, a few low bushes will begin to transition into their Autumn apparel.
    I'm living under the AC for now, for the most part, but change is coming soon now.
    The cooler nights will start the trout and Bass feeding later on into the morning. Perhaps a heavier 'T' shirt will be in order after Sundown.
    It just feels like change is coming.

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

49* this morning here. It felt amazing. It's currently like 80 though. That sucks.