Early winter..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Have noticed a number of resident geese in my area bunched up the last ten days...pretty early for that to be happening. Maybe an omen?

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Been across the continental divide here in Montana twice in the last month. Trees at 7200 feet are changing color.

3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I have really noticed in Memphis that the thugs in Da Hood are really grouped up now with the lower temps. Lots of grape and orange drinks being consumed to put on fat.

luvtwohunt, Wareagle1 and JuvieCoot like this.
  4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

The ants here are building taller hills. Must mean an early winter.

5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Here in E Idaho, I've been saying for years that August 'IS' the month of transition from Summer to Autumn.
    Wife was up and out early this morning with a light jacket on
    Really no telling how soon Winter will be making herself felt, but a huge part of the Fall celebration begins with the obvious signs that Summer is losing it's grip.
    The heat up will make itself felt again for many of us, but we'll know it's just a rather feeble attempt at a last stand before a more Traditional Indian Summer/Autumn is finally ushered in to displace it.
    Hurrah for cooler temps!

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Local denizens are walking into pawn shops with hubcaps and walking out with space heaters.

Not long boys.

7. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Have the thugs and local denizens molted also?

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Still going to be 107 here wednesday,but I think this is the last of it,well at least I hope.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Finally, cooler, much cooler temps this morning, the smell of rain in the air, a tease of Fall in the air...but not yet!
    I'm sure we will see hotter temps return to the area, but none are forecast for the next ten days!

Was just in the basement looking at the wife's Fall/Autumn house decor. As September 1st is our official start of the Fall season here at home, that day sees the things of Summer disappear, and her Fall decor come out to redo the house.
    I love it all. The Gold and Orange leafy garlands, the browns and yellow leafed acorn garlands, a few multi sized Pumpkins.
    The Pheasant birdhouse, Ducks and Geese center pieces on the dinning room table and living room coffee table.
    Autumn scented Yankee candles.
    The colors of Fall everywhere.

Now, not so much Summer, is when I like to BBQ the best.
    Just finishing up the first bit of Brisket. Next will come a big ole rack of Babyback ribs that are standing by.
    We might do Brats, and Burgers, chicken next, then follow up with my favorite...Beef ribs on the Weber!
    We'll have fried Small Mouth bass, baked Snow crab, and sides of twice baked potatoes we've gleaned from the local fields ourselves.
    Fried onion rings and corn on the cob, perhaps Kokanee fillets with scrambled eggs and home fried potatoes O'Brien in the skillet.
    A few weeks from now, it could be Morning doves under glass, with a tasty gravy, rice, and greens of choice.

Yeah Man! Autumn and the things of Autumn are nearly here. The hunt is about to start, and it seems it has been so long a wait this year, but the wait is nearly over.
    All good things are about to start!

por boy likes this.
  10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

<iframe width="426" height="240" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>