Eden landing.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Russnutt209, Dec 7, 2017.

1. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

Here is a Yelp review I wrote of the place:
    About 15 or 20 years ago I was relatively new to this forum, and relatively un-traveled in the realm of duck hunting. Some guy named "Big Daddy Gaddy" posted up that he had been drawn for the inaugural hunt at Eden Landing. It sounded like paradise, with a name like Eden it had to be heavenly. I pictured mallards floating in to flooded trees of forbidden fruit. I was the first, or perhaps only, response to Sir Gadwal's posted invitation. We met at Walmart in Manteca, eying each other's transportation with thinly veiled envy. His Corn Binder won out over my Mopar and we rumbled down 120 towards 205 at the speed of a frightened herd of wildebeest. We arrived safely at the fabled Gates of Eden, we were first in line! After waiting for what seemed like an eternity the gate keeper arrived and we were off. We loaded what seemed like enough gear for a rice blind into Gaddy's Stealth and headed out. We crossed at least one levee and he announced we had arrived. Decoys were placed and we settled into a blind that can best be described as a Pelican Bay guard tower reproduced in splintery redwood and placed in the middle of a lake. As it began to get light I was confused. There were no trees, tules, watergrass...in fact there was no vegetation to be seen. It appeared we had taken a wrong turn and were hunting Chernobyl. As shoot time came and went it was clear the mallards weren't going to show. My blind partner sensed my restlessness and suggested I take the boat and explore. Explore what?!?! Miles of wide open ponds as far as the eye could see, a desolate moonscape broken only by the occasional guard tower like shanty. I made my way to the levee and discovered a canal. For some unknown reason I decided this looked like a good spot. I was right!!! The bufflehead flight was out of control! After each shot I noticed Mike waving at me, I politely waved back and continued whacking the little black and white jet fighters. As I progressed towards my limit I noticed BDG was waving with both arms, and not necessarily all of his fingers, with an increasingly frantic demeanor. I began to sense that he was not merely waving, he was trying to get my attention. As I pulled the boat up to the guard tower my hunting partner politely informed me that he had no way of getting to my location since I had the boat. My bad. Soon we were both seated on the levee, pass shooting the finest fowl the South Bay has to offer. Limits were soon completed and we were just preparing to leave when, hark, what do we hear but honkers! Gaddy honked and clucked his little heart out and a brace of geese appeared over the levee. They swung by at 15 yards and we dropped three. The smell in the Scout was almost bearable with both windows down as we made our way back to Manteca. A fine hunt indeed.

2. Quackerpacker

Quackerpacker Senior Refuge Member

3. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Not sure when the last time you were there, but from what I have seen most of those ponds are tidal now, no brine shrimp. I have sculled the outside and up the creeks there, and late in the season its packed with nice birds. Like I said, glad most folks think the southbay ducks are mud,,,,,, keeps me laughing while the threads on buttwhipes at the NV's and delta are posted on here. Close to home and free. BTW, all the ponds in the south bay were old cargill, and before that leslie salt. I see bait, rays, and the occassional striper in the now tidal ponds. Healthy than they have ever been.

4. mjcook6

mjcook6 Elite Refuge Member

I dont hunt that way much, but honest question.
    Do you intend to burn every spot you plan to hunt?

5. Quackerpacker

Quackerpacker Senior Refuge Member

For those of you who want a place to go... please see the 2 blinds we built 20 years ago. Looks like dots in the most enlarged pic. These were so fun on a windy day. Widgeon, blues, shovelers, a few mallards and geese were to be had. Both had both docks.
    Don’t mind burning this spot at all...
    I got used to the shtink and actually started liking it-typical duck guy.

6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

The first year they drew hunts there. Sounds like you’ll get more guys there now though because of your description. If someone said my spot was horrible, I’d let them go ahead and believe it.

7. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Not my spot. I have never been in there on a hunt day. Like I said, I scull that place crossing the bay from the west side. Anyone who wants to learn that art is welcome to it. Its a long and dangerous learning curve, and takes WAY more energy and time than setting in a blind.

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

giphy-6.gif

9. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

D7F592A0-6F5D-48E9-BFCF-08A980368A10.jpeg I forgot how long ago that was Scott.

Memories....like the corners of my mind...misty watercolor memories...of a $-hithole hunt.

10. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

3 houses, a couple cars, one wife, and a couple job changes ago, to be exact.