EIC any one ever deal with it

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by quackhead7, Apr 10, 2018.

1. quackhead7

quackhead7 Senior Refuge Member

Hoping I can get some tips or info I have a American field lab and his drive and love to hint is unreal he is almost 4 years old and it seems to be getting worse he has never had a problem duck hunting yet but pheasant hunting was a different story collapsed in about 10 min so I never pheasant hunt him but lately just playing fetch he has been going down pretty quick probably with in 10 min and staying down longer i hate to see it i always try to stop before he gets to the point of collapsing but it seems like he works his self up so much that he can't control him self im just hoping maybe some one can fill me a little bit more or maybe a vet that has some experience with dealing with Eic thanks for any info guys and gals

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

It is certainly sad when this occurs. Given that testing makes it possible to make sure
    owners like you are not stuck with a genetic issue that is easily avoided by the breeder.

There is not much one can do with an affected dog that "goes down" rather quickly.
    A vet will not cure or improve this issue. This may seem kind of cold, but my advice
    would be to get another pup and let this one simple be a "couch dog".

Quite a few years ago before the testing, I bought a pup whose full sibling was affected.
    I was lucky mine was only a carrier. Since then, testing makes it possible to eliminate the
    the anguish you are experiencing. The breeder of your pup failed you and your dog. :reader

3. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

I experienced EIC in 2002. It was a new discovery at the time and the initial research was being conducted by U of CA Davis Vet School(leading research school in the USA)....I live just an hour away.

My lab(90 lb YLM sired by NAFC Cropper) was 5 yrs old and in top condition. While training in July, we got back to the truck and Kodi collapsed for a few minutes.....down on his stomach and his head swaying side to side and a dizzy look in his eyes. He recovered in 5 mins or so and I thought nothing of it.....we were water training and it was a hot day so maybe a touch of heat exhaustion. Fast forward to November.....on am AM hunt I sailed a goose 200 yds into a cattail clump for a retrieve Kodi had made dozens of times....he popped out of the cattails just a few yds behind a running goose and the goose jumped into an irrigation canal w/ Kodi on it's tail. He disappeared for several minutes, I got worried and went to look. Goose was swimming upstream in water and Kodi nowhere to be seen. Searched for him for 30 mins and found him....coming downstream w/ head under water.....drowned(probably the blackest day in my life).

My vet and I did not know why he drowned(super strong swimmer) other than might have become exhausted chasing goose since he was swimming against the current in fast moving canal water. Contacted friend of mine, DVM in research at Davis, who just happened to be working on the EIC research team. Conclusion was that it was probably EIC when looking at how strong a swimmer Kodi was and the incident the previous July.

4. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

I had an EIC affected BLF. Put her down last June at 15 1/2. At the time not much known. She was tested and confirmed by the U of Mn test trials. Now we have tests to show clear, carrier ( no problems or issues), or affected. My girls trigger was a holding blind. Limited training to when she started showing signs. Let her recover. No issues hunting. Don't upland hunt but many have mentioned that can be a trigger. You are better off not upland hunting or any activities that trigger events. There are some results with phenobarbitol but check with a knowledgeable vet before any drugs etc.

Jeff G

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

For sure ! !
    There is a little anecdotal evidence that CBD may help control the symptoms.

6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I had an EIC affected dog back before genetic testing was available. My dog only experienced collapse during hunting. She had 3 episodes, the last being the most serious. We were having a great day, and were just two birds short of a 6 man limit when she went down hard. She went into shock, and started seizing. She couldn't swim, so I had to drag her by the collar 200 yards through a flooded corn field. I was about a 20 minute fourwheeler ride from my vehicle, and another 50 miles to an ER vet clinic. it was awful!

I'd have a serious talk with your vet before you hunted him again....or trained for that matter.

good luck!

7. bullpinnie

Lean Mac was the sire ( & EIC carrier) of that dog, I don't quite remember the Dam. If Mark Jansma is still lurking around, he may know, I got her from Mark.

8. Murch7

Murch7 New Member

I picked up our Choclate female in 2015, from a breeder of simple family dogs. I decided to turn her into my hunting partner anyways.
    We first experienced her EIC episodes while not even hunting or training. I was simply at the park with my buddy and botch of our dogs throwing for them when her back legs went out. Scared the crap out of both me and my friend. I carried her back to the truck and we hauled *** to the vet (thinking I somehow broke my new dog). As soon as we burst into the vets office asking for help because I thought my dog was paralyzed, she hopped right out of my arms like nothing had happended. After some research a coworker suggested it may be EIC, we went to the family vet and she sent samples out to University of Minnesota and sure enough she has it.
    We started light training back up as I monitored her and ended up hunting over her the next two years on the refuge and upland with no other sign of it. Earlier this year the wife and I were at the park throwing for her and a new dog we rescued and we started to notice her getting wobbly again. We stopped right away and sat with the dogs until she was fine to walk home.
    I don’t know if she has a lightened case of EIC or not, but as I said she’s been just fine while hunting. I think her episodes are triggered by the excitement and drive to race another dog.

Anytime we are out hunting though I make sure to keep tabs on her, it’s definitely something I don’t want to see happen to my dog on the refuges or in the farm fields.

9. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

Bullpinnie. My girl was a Maxx gr grandaughter on top and bottom. No test available until she was 3 or so.We worked with U of Mn, Loyola, and others to confirm as she went down at 7 months old on a complex mark. Other popular EIC carrier sires: Cosmo, Rudy, etc.Hunting her was not an issue.
    There have been some affected dogs dying from an episode. Know your triggers.

Jeff

10. bullpinnie

Unfortunately for maggie, her trigger was hunting. She would get so amped on a hunt, she would literally shake uncontrollably. She never had episodes outside of hunting situations.