Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Enclosed trailer conversion

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

A couple years ago I started converting my enclosed trailer into a multi-use trailer. The goal for this rig was to have a combination cargo carrier and short term camping trailer, and be able to drive it into a field hauling decoys for duck/goose hunting. Still have a ways to go, but now the major mechanical stuff is done, which was out of my league, and that clears the way for me to start the interior modifications. This is a 7x16 trailer with a 2 ft v-nose, and has an interior height of 7' 3". Now has 7000 lb straight axles (stock was 3500), 5600 lb springs, 8 lug 16" wheels with load range E tires, load leveling hitch, electric tongue jack, dual 6 volt batteries in a lockable box (batteries charge when hooked to shore power or to the tow vehicle), sliding window in the walk door, a sliding window on each wall, 30 amp RV hook up with electrical panel and 12 volt converter, overhead vent with 3 speed Fantastic fan, 1 1/2" thick floor, 3/4" plywood walls 1/4" plywood ceiling, fully insulated walls and ceiling with rigid foam board, folding entry steps, folding hand rail, and 4 interior electrical outlets. Also now has 18" of ground clearance for the lower deck. And yes, I need to build the cabinet to properly mount the electrical panel. With this concept I will also need to be able to remove camping fixtures such as beds, chairs, etc when I want to haul things which requires a bit more pre-planning. The bigger axles are not so I can put a zillion ponds inside, but to strengthen the suspension, add some ground clearance, and get the bigger heavy duty tires.

Not there yet, but getting close.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

2. Mean Gene

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Pit Boss likes this.
  3. Mean Gene

011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg

4. Mean Gene

016.jpg 018.jpg 019.jpg

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Excuse my ignorance on trailers... but it looks like OSB sub-flooring which is exposed underneath the trailer. Is that typical? What happens when it gets wet?

6. Mean Gene

Yep, a concern. At this point it hasn't been exposed to much moisture as almost all of my towing has been in dry weather. But, now that it's raised up some and I can get to it, AND I will have time, I'm going to seal it, then paint it, then coat it with marine spar varnish.

darkvibe likes this.
  7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I like it. So many things you can do with that trailer.

8. Mean Gene

Contacted the manufacturer this morning and the original flooring looks like OSB, but is not true OSB. Also found this flooring tag on their website. Good news. I'll probably still coat everything underneath with bedliner but that's just because I like to be over the top on when it comes to caution.

Flooring Tag.jpg

Sleddman, longduck and darkvibe like this.
  9. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

Man this is something i have wanted to do for a long time. I would probably add a small generator (like a small honda) to run a small window unit for ac. A portable buddy heater would be all the heat you would need.
    Waiting to see the finished product.

10. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

Looks great!