Equipment Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DagoDucks, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

1. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

IMG_8608.JPG IMG_8620.JPG IMG_8754.JPG 72253366[1].jpg Looking for some advice as to which pieces of equipment to acquire to go with my Kubota M120 4x4 tractor. We recently upgraded to a 120hp tractor to be able to plant our fields in case our farmer can not get a crop in or we may just take over a portion of the ground he currently rents from us to make sure we have corn where we want it. In wet years we would be able to just disc up the ground and go with a moist soil approach.
    So far I have a already bought 18' IH 470 disc w/ 7.5" spacing, a JD 7000 4 row planter (not a no-till) and a 15' cultipacker. Trying to decide if I need a cultivator or a harrow or harrowgator to smooth the field out after discing.
    When I have used smaller equipment in the past to plant corn we have always disced, then harrowed and cultipacked before we ran the planter over it. Is there a more efficient piece of equipment that won't break the bank where I can eliminate any of these steps? I like the idea of the harrowgator as I could hook it to the back of my disc or I could hook the cultipacker to the back of the harrowgator.
    This older equipment goes relatively cheap as I realize most of it is outdated for todays bigger farmers and it is too big for most of the food plot guys.

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Have you been to a Sullivan’s auction ? I don’t know Big your hole is but you have plenty of machinery.

3. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

Been to plenty of auctions and auction sites over the years. Sullivan lately seems to handle a lot late model and big acreage implements. Just got the disc and cultipacker at the Reichmann auction in Okawville last month.
    On any given year we could be handling from 20 - 80 acres. In the past we were limited to a 50hp 4x4 tractor which made it very time consuming to get things done. Bigger is definitely better when it comes to farming for ducks.

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

I was curious on what you were using the cultipacker for. Usually they are used before and/or after seeding. I would think if you had a good harrow set up behind your disk possibly with leveling baskets or similar would prep your ground for planting. This should eliminate extra trips made over the field.