European mount

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by waterrat, Nov 25, 2017.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Euros seem to be popular these days. Maybe because they are easy to do. I like the old fashioned mounts. I tan my own hides and use the leather to mount them up.

upload_2017-12-3_19-54-17.png

2. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I've got a few skulls that I need to get working on. Its duck season, so time is at a premium. Guess it'll wait until Feb.

3. mtriverrat

mtriverrat New Member

Simmer, the skull ,do not boil it, add arm and hammer washing soda to the water, 1 cup . cook until all the meat turns to jelly like look . Remove from the pot while still warm ,use a pressure washer or car wash to remove all remaining flesh. No scrapeing or fleshing will needed.

4. Steelteamsix

Steelteamsix New Member

I have a very similar approach when I do coyote and deer skulls. Flesh, boil for a hour with dish soap or oxy clean added (more so for coyotes to remove oil) use a pressure washer spray all the flesh off, be careful of the teeth. Then boil for another hour in 3% peroxide using the pressure washer again if needed. 20170612_125523.jpg

double limit likes this.
  5. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I did a bear skull last year. My first attempt. It turned out alright. Some yellowing showing. Everything I read said 10% volume peroxide.
    I also soaked it for a week in soapy water, changing water daily. Greasy thing.
    730CA100-252E-43DF-B079-68C2549F945F.jpeg

This goat was beetled. That’s the way to go.
    07FB02E0-9E32-457D-BC91-7399D59D5DFD.jpeg

double limit likes this.
  6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

How did you end up losing the nose bones then if it was simple and no aggressive flesh removal was needed? Definitely needs peroxide or they look like crap with discoloration from the grease.

7. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I accidentally broke it while removing the bottom jaw. Removing the jaw and ears was all the prep i did. It took, maybe, 10 minutes.

8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Yeah I've done it plenty but after this guy took the next one to a taxidermist cuz you can almost always find one who was just getting in the business and will do them for dirt cheap. They just get to the point where for $75 I'm more then willing to let someone else deal with it.

Screenshot_20180313-084946.jpg

BangingBirds and waterrat like this.
  9. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

For Euro mounts, I've tried my best to look with scorn at the $25 to $40 plastic skull mount kits that you do yourself. Nothing needed but the kit, sawing off the antlers and screwing them on.

We have a skull mount and the plastic mount laying on a table at the ranch and I'm starting to think that hanging on the wall 99% of folks would never know it was plastic.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Mikes-Reproductions-Universal-Mounting/dp/B002QFYAGW