Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

European skulls on fence post

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Steelteamsix, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:02 PM.

1. Steelteamsix

Steelteamsix New Member

I have 4 bucks that id like to mount on a fence post with grass, barb wire, etc. I plan to mount the fence post to 3/4" plywood to fit in the corner of a room. Overall height will be about 4 feet tall. My question is how do i go about mounting the skull to the post, obviously avoiding running screws through the top of the skull.
    Also i have always boiled coyote skulls with Clorox, sprayed with a pressure washer, boiled again in peroxide and sprayed a final time. They turn out real nice and white and look good but is there anything else i should do for deer skulls.

Any info from those more experienced is great!

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Do a google search for "skull hooker"...it's a nice-looking display....they even have a "tree" with the hooks on it. The hook goes in the natural hole in back of skull. There's a cheaper product that I don't have any experience with but here's a link (I think): Basically any rod like a dowel rod, etc....will work.

https://express.google.com/product/...MI-66wy6qR3wIViANpCh142wsUEAQYBSABEgKHs_D_BwE

I'm a bird buy but have done a few coyote skulls. Just be careful using clorox or any bleach as it will make the skulls brittle. Peroxide is what most guys use. There is some pretty strong stuff you can get from a pool maintenance store or beauty shops. Have to be careful as it will burn your skin bad.

Steelteamsix likes this.
  3. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Drill a hole in bottom side of skull right below ears towards mouth and run a screw in in the post I will post a pic when I get home

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Don’t use bleach( bone falls apart) peroxide same thing. Use volume 40 peroxide and basic white from beauty supply store.

Steelteamsix likes this.