Expensive Decoys

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Susky Ducker, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member

I need to man vent

I know it's been talked about and know it isn't going to change anytime soon. But the price of decoys are ridiculous and they're resale value is crazy as well. I'm a big component of the free market. But the raw material and overseas manufacturing is so cheap to be charging these prices. Someone has to come out with a decently priced decoys. $300+ per dozen is insane. Everyone is always going crazy over REALISM. You realize people kill geese over silhouette (literally pictures of birds on a stick) and even trash bags. I'm blessed to have a good paying job. But I don't know how the average hunter does it. I hate spending that much money on principle

Alright I'm done crying. But I'm still mad

2. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

As long as there are people out there stupid enough to pay the price then it will just keep going up. But it is not just decoys, it is everything related to hunting.

JP, Tuleman, shotgunslb and 5 others like this.
  3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

It won't be long before the average guy, like myself, will be priced out of hunting.

MRLink, BirdJ, tcc and 2 others like this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We'll be holding each other up at the ramp for decoys and leaving your $2,000 shotgun.

JP likes this.
  5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I haven't hunted geese in almost 20 years. Are they decoy shy these days?

Back when I hunted them you were either where they wanted to go and you slayed them or you weren't where they wanted to go and you didn't kill them.

Has that changed?

6. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member

People use to kill geese over half painted tires and wooden heads. I guess the tread gave them the REALISM :l

JP and TSNELL like this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Any idiot can buy a few dozen expensive decoys and try to play the part... Try showing up with old Flambeau and G/H and show them up!

skiduck and Billy Bob like this.
  8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Add in the fact that everyone wants to lease ground now and it's a recipie for disaster. Greed will hurt us all.

JP, AndyM, sgt duck and 4 others like this.
  9. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

My dad saw this coming. He died in '74. He told me that before long hunting would become a rich man's sport (and that was when a box of Winchester or Remingington high base shells sold for $3).

Tyedog and NOLUCK like this.
  10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Personally I look at decoys as investments. Take care of your stuff and it will last forever. I have two dozen Bigfoot goose decoys from 1995 plus three dozen outlaw silhouette goose decoys not to mention a bunch of Herters duck decoys that are indestructible. For whatever reason I even have an eleven year old Bigfoot mallard floater that has over 50 pellet holes in it and it works, albeit after it got spray foamed.

The reason decoys are so expensive is the decoys from years past still work. Most hunters are older and do not need to or won't trade up their decoys for the new crap. Therefore less decoys are being sold and the decoy companies need to increase the price to make a living.

AndyM and ED Vanderbeck like this.