Facts-Ducks and Geese

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Sacalait54, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Neckbone

Neckbone Refuge Member

because lots has changed particularly the climate to where farming crawfish way north of here would work now

just like sugarcane is migrating north

2. Neckbone

Neckbone Refuge Member

north of louisiana? how bout north of interstate 10?

3. Bird Watcher

Bird Watcher Senior Refuge Member

I'm here to tell ya. If you could fix the weather and No till farming you'd have it solved. I said it on the other thread. If you've ever watched how fast even 10,000~ mallards can eat a dry field of corn that has been turned in as a loss to the insurance company, you realize there really isn't a refuge with enough corn in it to hold them. It's the corn laying on top of the ground in no till fields up and down the flyway that keeps them from migrating. Especially after Dec. 20th.

metalworx and bill cooksey like this.
  4. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

This is a duck hunting website and this was posted in the Louisiana Forum. I'm okay with it. Its been a sucky year, let us ventilate and contrive reasons as to why.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If he was from south of I-10, he'd know crawfish are routinely seeded annually here, as the "ponds" move with crop rotations from set-aside or beans to rice.

bill cooksey likes this.
  6. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

$$$$$Maybe because one of the biggest crawfishing companies in South LA is based in Missouri? That is buying up any farm land they can find to turn them into more crawfish(more lost habitat)

I like how you say "we". Like if 1 ignorant coonass doesn't seed a farm, then no one does.

Also I was just making a point that your gripe is ridiculous. Crawfish are not a primary food source for ducks.

7. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

Ive been to Canada 4 years straight now. Havent seen the first flooded corn field, but have killed hundreds of ducks day in and day out in dry fields. Last year we hunted a lost crop pea field and it was something to watch the mallards and pintail come into that field. Anywhere from 50-75k birds.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  8. Bird Watcher

Bird Watcher Senior Refuge Member

It's funny how some believe it's the "corn in the refuge pond" holding all the birds, but within 3 weeks of them showing up at the duck park they are all flying out to feed on dry ground somewhere.

9. metalworx

metalworx Senior Refuge Member

I have seen them literally pick a flooded corn field clean in one week or less

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

@Sacalait54

I'm an admin and to be blunt, I don't like your attitude. You seem to be intentionally drawing a lot of attention to yourself. It's as if you thrive on conflict and want to create a toxic environment. You pretend you're smarter than everyone else and believe only your logic is worthy. I think you're nothing more than an antagonistic blow hard. I won't tolerate that for very long.

You can either dial it down or I'll remove you from the forums.

mmayes, Troller and hunting1 like this.