Favorite food in the blind ???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

All these fancy blinds with stoves and everything, cooking these big meals. Especially those finishing breakfast right as the birds show up. You got an outhouse out the back? Nothing like getting up 2-3 hours earlier than normal, pile on big breakfast to pretty well wreck my morning routine.

I have found that I'm pretty sensitive tho.

My practice is always light breakfast, big brunch/lunch after.

2. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what a good duck hole and eating big breakfast has to do with each other
    But
    We kill 50-90 most days depending on the number in the blind

But we still have full blown meals just like we are home
    That's most important part of the hunt

We do some variation of pork pretty much everyday

My favorite being fried pork chop sammiches w scrambled eggs covered w cheese

But we fry fish
    Do shrimp boils
    Chicken and dumplings w cornbread

Smoked sausages w onions and peppers

Hot wings

Peach cobbler
    Cakes

We do it !!!!!!

Grilled steaks and baked potatoes

You name it
    We will cook it!!!!!!

And we go a kill em every day right in the middle of all that eating

And best part is when you get to that stage of hunting

When it's time to cook it don't bother a soul to have to cook and miss volleys

Cause we gonna roll the same way tomorrow

techfowl and possumfoot like this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Why would someone get up so early? Lots of days I sleep later at duck camp than I do at home. And yes most blinds have some sort of facilities available.

4. da fowl slayer

Cooksey
    Cause he ain't hunting 60plus

bill cooksey likes this.
  5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I usually leave the house with a coffee and toast or a PBJ sandwich to eat on the way to hunting (usually a 10-20 minute trip , depending where I am hunting). Most of my hunts are in the field in layout blinds, or on the water in a small jon boat or a kayak, so not many places to cook a meal out there. I might throw a couple of cans of pop and a couple of granola bars or some duck sticks in for a snack, but most mornings I am heading home within an hour or two, so I usually have time to make a good breakfast or brunch when I get home, especially if I am working that morning. I have hunted with a guy who had a slick setup on his duck boat . He had built a small propane oven that had a portable cooktop, and he would cook bacon and eggs and actually bake up fresh buns or pastry right in the boat. Hard to concentrate when you can smell fresh buns baking.

6. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

Here in northern Ky, close to Cincinnati, we have a breakfast food called Goetta. It's a mixture of oats pork and a bunch of other crap that poor Germans could get when they came to the area. Cook some of that in a skillet and throw it im a burrito with egg, peppers, cheese and hot sauce.... ohhhhhhh mamma!!!

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

If your referring to days hunting I'm probably close to 50.

But I'm sure my hunting is different from what most experience. It's mostly mountain hunting. Small creeks and ponds. Pretty much all your shooting is done by 9.

8. da fowl slayer

You would be the man of all men if you could do get up 2-3 hrs early to cook for everyone :bow

I can't do it!!!!!

Keep talking you may be hunting in west Tn all winter:)

bill cooksey likes this.
  9. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Hope your waders have a rear hatch.

BADLARRY250 likes this.
  10. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

Being a field hunter, for me it wouldn't feel right NOT getting up early...Getting up hours before legal, prepping blinds, setting out decoys spreads in the field, hanging out for a half hour or so waiting for legal once set-up and just catching up with those we don't see much/napping. Nothing like trying to maximize days and taking only mornings off from work, getting into the office by 1 with no nap and then passing out as soon as you are done scouting for the night, only to do it all over again.

Wouldn't have it any other way, granted I am young enough it is still fun and my body can handle the 2-2:30 AM wake-up alarms in early September. Generally we are done by brunch at the latest, find breakfast and then have a couple beers back at base before naps and evening scouting. I do have one particular diner that makes a mean loaded omelette, always hits the spot...