Federal heavy weight BB coyote load?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by longshot, Jan 9, 2019.

1. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I found some of the discontinued federal 3" 1.5oz BB heavyweight coyote loads. Does anybody have a pellet count for this load? I have called federal 3 different times about this and always have to leave a message. Tired of trying to play phone tag with federal.

thanks
    longshot

2. rmb79

rmb79 Elite Refuge Member

Buy a box and cut one open

3. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

I understand that is one method to get pellet count. I just dont really want to cut open a $5 shell that is discontinued. I called federal about it and after being on hold for 10 minutes before i got to talk to them it was a joke. The guy couldn’t find the load by the part number. He ask what color the box was and then said 9 pellets. I said in a size BB load? Then his reply was 108 pellets.....hum. It is 35% denser than lead and a 1.5oz load. 1.5oz of lead BB would be approximately 75 pellets. So it HAS to be less pellets than lead NOT 33 more pellets.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Pattern one and count the holes.

Dogface likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Those HW loads are supposed to be 15/gcc shot so they would be HW15. They should have around 43-44 pellets per ounce, roughly.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I believe I read they have 66 BB on a Predator hunting forum. And patterns where not good. But they killed well enough even with poor patterns. Might look on older Predatormasters threads

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  8. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob New Member

I opened up a few of the Federal 3" Heavyweight Coyote BB 1-1/2 oz loads and they had 62 pellets per shell.

Federal should have used Heavyweight #2 shot in their coyote loads. I bought cases of the Heavyweight 3" 1-1/4 oz waterfowl loads of #2 shot and robbed the shot out of them and reloaded 3" 1-1/2 oz loads of Heavyweight 15g/cc #2 shot. My Heavyweight #2 shot loads had right at 90 pellets per shell.

I really like the Rem HD 1-1/2 oz loads of BB shot that had 70 pellets per shell for killing coyotes but the 1-1/2 oz loads of Federal Heavyweight #2 shot with 90 pellets per shell are better coyote loads.

For shooting coyotes I would rather have 70 BB pellets in HW13 BB or Rem HD BB than shoot a load with 8 less pellets in it, even if the pellets are denser.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Wingmaster HD was more like 12/g/cc so you would get more pellets compared to HW15. I use my .243 for Coyotes and don't need to do any math, just pull the trigger and they die.

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob New Member

We learned a long time ago that if you have a shotgun and a rifle on every coyote calling stand we can kill way more coyotes. The shotgun shooter is 10 to 20 yards from the e-caller.

In some areas we use nothing but shotguns because we can only see 30 to 50 yards. It is much easier to hit running coyotes at 50 yards and less with a shotgun.