federal red box vs blue box

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by billwnr, Nov 2, 2018.

1. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I never have figured out what the difference is between the two loads. I see the same payload and same muzzle velocity. What is the difference between the two. Must be one as Federal wouldn't put out ammo to hunters that prefer one box color over another.

2. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

The only thing I did not like was the federal steel base shells in the blue box. I will not shoot them. I know of a number of problems with them sticking/not cycling in break action, pump, and semi shotguns. If it’s the 12 gauge red shell with brass base I’d say they Are Pretty much identical (assuming they use the same steel pellets, wads, primers, and powder in both runs). That said I only shoot the red box and have for many many years. I shoot Federal Premium 1 1/4 2’s almost exclusively for everything from Wigeon to honkers.

Cheers,

Adam

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The difference is the quality of the components. Hotter primer, powder that doesn't leave your barrel full of crap after every shot, plated shot (red box). Nothing that makes them more deadly in the field.

4. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

Red Box: cleaner burning, coated pellets, water proof crimp/primer
    (Better components)

Blue Box: dirty burning powder, non coated pellets and non water proof crimp/primer
    (Less expensive components)

Fyi: I shoot the Bluebox. I feel I shoot them better over the redbox.

Bluebox federals are topshelf of inexpensive shell compared to Remington sportsman's and Winchester Xpert shells and so on...

5. billwnr

thanks guys.

6. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I tend toward the red box anymore. Shot a couple of cases of blue box, but it seemed to be pretty "dirty," and the crimp always looked pretty shredded after firing. The red box seem to be a significant step up in quality.

7. GoPackers

GoPackers Senior Refuge Member

I tried a box of the new and improved Federal Blue Box this past weekend, and was very satisfied with it's results. Clean burning, and a hard hitting load with zero cripples. I had been shooting the Fiochi 1 1/5oz #3's going 1,550, but I think I prefer this new Blue Box with 1 1/4oz shot in 3#'s going 1,450.

8. billwnr

Rogers had a sale on the red box Federals that ended yesterday.

9. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

I haven't cut open a Remington sportsman's shell or a xpert in a while. When I did (many years ago) the shot was literally steel slag. It was jagged pieces, different size and dirty. Like the shot was never washed or polished. When you touch the shot it turned your hand coal black.

That's good to hear about the new blue box. As I have not shot any as of yet. I still have a few old boxes left and 4 cases of Remington Nitros I bought last year on sale.

Here are my favorite shells to shoot. It works for me.

1. Remington Nitros 3inch 1 1/4 ounce 1 shot
    2. Federal blue box 3 ince 1 1/4 ounce 1 shot

10. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I shoot several cases of blue box a year for at least the last 7 years. I shoot a beretta semi-auto. ZERO issues! T

I prefer the 1550fps in 2 shot and that stuff is straight awesome especially considering the price. I find it to be no dirtier than hevi-steel, hevi-metal, etc and I believe performs better overall.

Shot red box as well and it is silver coated shot. Found little to no difference than the bluebox,

11. NWh2ofowlr

NWh2ofowlr Elite Refuge Member

If you like the #2 shot, try #3's. I have made the switch to shooting all #3 shot. I get very few cripples. Most are stone dead. It has been a good move for ducks.