Finally a goldeneye

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Killducks.com, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the Golden Eye. They are one of my favorite ducks to target. We do well on them really late in the year when everything else is froze up.

Part of the reason you may be seeing a low drake to hen ratio is a lot of the drakes are heartier and stick it out up north. We are on the northern edge of their wintering range and there are a couple thousand that hang around all winter. When I see flocks this time of year there are about 1 hen to every 25 drakes. So the drakes may be hanging up north of you. Mallards do the same thing. Flocks that stick it out in extremely cold conditions are usually a majority drakes. The ladies are snow birds.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

You know women are always cold!

Juan De likes this.
  3. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Great job! Congrats.

ncb

4. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. The goldeneye was pretty darn cool but it doesn’t get much better than this. We now have backwater and guess who is showing up!

Attached Files:

5. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Jealous am I.

6. iaduckhunter

iaduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

That's a stud black there! Big drake black in January is a pretty duck. I've killed a bunch of them but it has been awhile.

8. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

Nice Goldeneye and black duck. I have a nice Goldeneye mounted, we shoot quite a few black ducks i gotta get a nice one like that mounted sometime.

9. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Refuge Member

Hoping this artic push will do it! Just as earlier mentioned, checking my mallard holes today and noticed 8 divers sitting on one which consisted of all hen Goldeneyes.

10. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Been on the goldeneye crazy but that’s all I have been seeing so now instead of putting out 100 plus diver spread I’m sticking out 6 goldeneye and 6 bufflehead. Passed last 4 hunts on drakes just not the right ones for the wall. How do y’all usually set up to kill them. Here in north Al we normally don’t get many until major cold hits so I’m hoping all these drakes are immature ones with the hens and this next cold spell brings the donkeys in.