googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Fishing out of Beaufort Inlet

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by The Other David, May 11, 2018.

1. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

SST is Sea Surface Temperature.

The Spanish (and a couple Bonita--my favorite fish) bite was "on" today! This (see photo) was a couple fish shy of Spanish IMG_20931.jpg limit for 6 people on the boat.

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

3. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

If you don’t have other boats runing with you I would also suggest maybe renting a sat phone and EPIRB. A 24’ with single engine will seem mighty small 40 miles out.

WoodieSC and creedsduckman like this.
  4. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

This sounds like excellent advice!

5. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Sea Surface Temperatures - fish align to the temp changes and eddies. Look for warm water to spin off the Gulf Stream.
    There are several free sources, all of which suffer from cloud cover issues.
    http://map02.saltwatercentral.com/?userid=1740&sessionid=430544&state=NC
    https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/?product=sst&region=capehat&nothumbs=0
    There are pay sites as well, but I get offshore so seldom I just get the 'fish here' map.

Fish also orient to the offshore structure - depth changes, reefs, hardbottoms, the edge of the continental shelf.

I saw 3 YFT come off the Morehead charter docks Wed, a few wahoo and lots of dolphin. Swing by about 4:30 and watch them unload.

The Other David likes this.
  6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Interesting stuff. Wish I knew something about it, but have never lived near or spent a lot of time on salt water.

Thanks for helping him out, Guys!

Have a great trip, David!