Florence

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

The thing with Katrina and New Orleans was that ended up being basically the best case scenario! The Katrina scenario had been taught in basically weather 101 classes for years and years prior to the storm actually coming. everyone knew it was eventually going to come and it would be horrible do to their unique circumstances. The reason why Katrina was best case scenario was at the last second she jogged to the right and lost significant amount of strength so instead of going through the right front quadrant of a cat 5 they went to the left front of a cat 3 which is dramatically better do it pushing the water offshore instead of on although the Lake Pontchartrain bit them in the ***. Had they taken the storm surge in New Orleans like they did in Mississippi and Alabama most of those people on those rooftops wouldn't have been on those rooftops they would have been dead. I don't have a problem with the officials overhyping it they're just covering their butts it's the bombastic news coverage that is getting seriously old at this point.

widgeon likes this.
  2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Bombastic news is the new norm. Look at politics.
    Ratings are money

coachcornbread likes this.
  3. Dean Nelson

Not going spend any time looking for the hugely bombastic quotes because they were live reports on CNN and MSNBC but there are plenty of Articles like this many of which were being reported well after she downgraded. If you want to find the article there are plenty of them out there and we're not talking about underselling by officials were talking about overhyping by the media.
    https://www.trunews.com/stream/hurr...linas-bracing-for-worst-natural-disaster-ever

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Lets face it. The real issue is people living in hurricane prone areas. Noone should be surprised when a hurricane hits.

THIS however is a surprise! As a retired firefighter, I can't imagine trying to get on top of this chaos.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/09/13/gas-explosions-lawrence-andover-north-andover

A series of gas explosions an official described as “Armageddon” killed a teenager, injured at least 10 other people and ignited fires in at least 39 homes in three communities north of Boston on Thursday, forcing entire neighborhoods to evacuate as crews scrambled to fight the flames and shut off the gas.

By late Thursday, all of the fires had been doused but many areas remained silent and dark after residents fled and after power companies cut electricity to prevent further fires. Schools in all three communities were canceled for Friday, and some schools were being used as shelters for residents.

Joseph Solomon, the police chief in nearby Methuen, said 20 to 25 homes were on fire in Lawrence when he responded to help. He said there are so many fires “you can’t even see the sky.”

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The news media will dial back the BS when people start finding a way to charge insurance companies for evacuation expenses and all the crime that occurs in uninhabited houses.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Most of those cities were built before Minnesota existed.

7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

And back then they were'nt 1/2" waferboard roofs. They were built to stand.

8. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I agree w/ you over the news being over-hyped.

Were those homes in Mississippi and Alabama built below sea level like the homes in New Orleans and St. Bernard Parish?

9. Dean Nelson

Yeah your probably right but looking at a place like New Bern North Carolina I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think the Doubletree Inn by Hilton or the convention center or the building on the far left were there in 1858. I could be wrong but it seems like a pretty safe bet and needless to say a little close to the water.

Screenshot_20180914-121620.jpg

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

If I remember correctly, when Flo started churning up in the Atlantic, one of our local weather persons called it a fish hurricane. Move toward the coast then turn, way off shore, and head north far out to sea. Oh well....