Gear review

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by hunt'ngreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I had the same exact issue with mine. I didn't notice it right away but drained it out and ran it after and the motors both still worked. So took it home and didn't use it on the next couple of hunts due to the wind. Went to load it the next time and only one motor worked. Other completed seized up and dead. Probably all that water did it in.

I'm not going to waste my time with it. I'll just move onto something else.

Jerk cords are hard to deal with if you aren't right on the water line. Some places I hunt they just aren't feasible.

2. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

Benelli sbe2 always works.
    Boss shot shells ...... amazing patterns with smaller shot and they kill easily to 40 yards if you choke them right.
    jebs .680 and rob Roberts t3 both threw best patterns out of a bunch of chokes with Kent and boss bismuth 4's and 5's
    Sitka... everything I have ever bought it stupid reliable and just plain works. Only issue I have ever come across is zipper on a Hudson jacket and they replaced it with new model.
    Lares Hybrid .... love this call
    Dakota decoys with flocked heads.... after 3 seasons......super durable, look great, move with the slightest breeze, and can get replacement heads for the drakes. Cant wait to try the inflatable ones.
    Dogtra on its 4th season and running strong.
    Banded waders leaking everywhere after 2nd season but I got the cheapest non insulated and was actually surprised they held up as long as they did. Not sure if I will get another or spring for sitka.
    '13 tundra..... another season of driving all over the country chasing greenheads. Never an problem with this truck.
    black lab female...... best dogs on earth.

Peter S. likes this.
  3. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Refuge Member

I went with some Mojo Butt Up Ripplers this year and loved them. No issues with water leaking and added great water movement / motion. They were reasonably priced too, picked them up for $29 each on an Amazon sale.

Calikev - fill a plastic jug with sand, pass the jerk cord through the handle and drop it in the water next to you, great way to keep the jerk cord down.

Best new gear I ran this year was a NuCanoe Frontier 12 Kayak with their layout blind, Sitka Dakota Hoodie, and NoCry waterproof rechargeable spotlight ($40 and it floats too). The NoCry spotlight was the single greatest bang for the buck, it’s awesome.

JRS and Calikev like this.
  4. Peter S.

Peter S. New Member

Used a Tangle Free Layout Blind for the first time this year and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm a big dude 6'8" 275 and always found myself getting claustrophobic in other layouts. This one is roomy enough for me, blind bag, gun, and ducks. I love it.

Got a Sitka Delta Wading Jacket and Dakota Vest mid-season and am absolutely in love with both. The wading jacket is awesome, completely water proof and has all the pockets and accessories you'll ever need.

Failures - have a cheap jerk rig from Academy and it was a let down. It worked ok for the season but the handle broke our second hunt this year and the damn thing would tangle and never become fully untangled causing a mess at pickup. Going to go for a Lifetime Decoys Jerk Rig in the off season. I have heard good things about them.

5. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have a 14-year-old grandson that I didn't purchase, but have invested a lot of money in over the years. He's been hunting off and on with me now for 10 years. Hauls my gear, retrieves my ducks, cleans my ducks...and beginning to cook my ducks. Kid just keeps getting better with age and I highly recommend getting one or two...actually I have 6 of them.

6. Scott McMorrow

Scott McMorrow Senior Refuge Member

I used a Momarsh Invisalab blind this year. I was worried the dog would beat it up too much, like he tends to do with gear. No probs on that front. However, one of the red cables that is used to retract the legs broke after just a few uses. I bought it from Cabelas, and they shipped a new one at no cost. I'll have to see how it holds out next season. One thing for sure, having the dog well hid brought in more birds.

green with ring and Peter S. like this.
  7. dsilsby

dsilsby Elite Refuge Member

sbe ll - bought two: one has the beneli
    click one does’nt.
    ducks unlimited wigeon waders:
    2 seasons with no leaks.
    federal bluebox 3” 1 1/8 #2 shot, 1550ft per second. very deadly out
    of a 28’’ beneli sbe ll using the beneli
    factory extended chokes.

8. Delmar

Delmar New Member

9. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Might be worth a call to see if you can get it fixed? If the one side still works, You might want to try this to help keep it upright in wind etc:

https://www.higdondecoys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=99604

This video shows how the 'hammer' works. Tell them to mail you one of those for free...?

Just a thought

KJGoose1253 likes this.
  10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I had the hammer but god that thing was heavy. I got rid of the thing. Just wasn't right for what I needed. Probably just get a Pulsator.

Kevin