Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Generator

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by marshmob, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:30 PM.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Can anyone recommend a generator that has an external tank option to run an ice eater? Currently I run a cabelas generator but the make/model doesn’t have any after market gas caps that allow for an external tank. Friend has a Honda with the tank cap that allows for an external tank but the price of that setup is around 1k. Way to high for me so looking for a similar but cheaper option.

Thanks

2. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

we have a home depot and a Honda . both work good Hondas better but the home depot does good job to for 1/2 the price little harder to start but still works

3. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion I think the Hondas are the best way to go but a couple options for you come to mind.
    Since you have a generator can you set up an elevated fuel tank and gravity flow to your existing gen and bypass the current fuel tank.
    Another option would look into Predator generators sold by Harbor Tool. They are similar to Hondas, have good reviews at about half the cost.

freefall likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This:

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

I have the predator 3500 watt inverter with the aftermarket cap and it works great. They make a cap for the 200 watt inverter as well.

6. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

No personal experience but I have heard a LOT of really good things about the Harbor Freight Predator models. Plus, their return policy on most everything is outstanding. Be sure you check what it is on the predator.

7. marshmob

I found this online. It has a few steps but this is the main part. From there just use the normal fittings to attach to the gas can 15D3FD69-F303-4007-88BF-A869F303D128.jpeg

freefall likes this.
  8. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

we did that it works

9. marshmob

Of course I wait til we start icing up to try this :doh

10. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

You're way over thinking this. Take the fuel line off the carb on the generator. Go get a boat fuel tank and the fitting to go into the tank, doesn't matter what brand, but I used Yamaha since that's the outboard I have. Hook a fuel line from the boat tank to the carb nipple with hose clamp. Pump up the primer bulb and crank it. Now you have a spare tank for your boat, too.

stevena198301 likes this.