German Wiredhaired Pointer —the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Arrieta, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Arrieta

Arrieta Senior Refuge Member

Are any of you members of the GWPCNC? Is there another GWP club?

As far as the difference between Drahthaars and GWPs --is there really a difference and if so, what is the difference?

I know in GSPs, some put stock in the Kurzhaars, but my experience is that there are just as good Dual Champion GSPs here in the US (and in California) as there are anywhere. I know that there are what many call American Shorthairs too and many are great dogs that run in American Field.

I once participated in training a German Longhaired Pointer (another breed entirely) imported from Germany. Whoever bred that dog, bred for something with so much prey drive, so much independence, and so much aggression that the dog was almost unbearable to live with. The dog actually used to pee on the owner's leg and bit the owner on several occasions.

2. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

If the first quote is true then why are there only 3 breeders worth your consideration?

You still pro staffing for VDD-GNA's Minister of Propaganda? Why don't you give the OP your "separate breed" spiel, that one is always a hoot :tu

JuvieCoot likes this.
  3. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Are you trying to say that your breeding system is better. The breeders listed I know produce great hunting dogs and I have owned their dogs. Don't try to compare unregulated back yard breeders to the DD system.

I wonder why you guys always get your dogs from the DD breeding system when you are looking to improve your breed and dogs.

I wonder why you guys always get upset about it. We never ever go to your breed pool. I know why and so do you.

Johnny Ringo and BangingBirds like this.
  4. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

It happens... occasionally.

5. Silver Wings

Upset??? Who's upset? You know very well that I hold these Wirehaired dogs in the highest esteem. Even the Drahthaar...whatever that means, maybe someone can translate that for me. It's the people that suck...as in most breeds.

Now go on and tell us your fairy tale. You know you want to!!! You don't have to think about whether it makes any sense...just quote from the MOP's handbook. I've seen you do it before and you do it so well....pleeeeeease :l

6. Kevin Burroughs

I pretty much figured you wouldn't answer the questions. Answer me why you guys always come to the DD system to better your breed and we never do. Simple question.

7. Silver Wings

Ok...I'll make you a deal. I'll answer your question, but you have to man up and answer mine.

The answer to your question is simple...VDD only allows registration from breeding from within "their system". Therefore nobody can go outside, even if they think that stock would improve their line. They would lose their "brand". GWP breeders can go where ever they want to seek improvement, and do. Something dog breeders have done since we first brought them into the cave with us. I have nothing but praise for the DD...well mostly praise. I don't think using a European test system is the best way to judge dogs used by North American hunters, but even there my differences are small. I do think VDD's standards are a good thing...they are just not the only way or necessarily best way to do business. My real beef is with smug people who think they know more than they do, but then again you can find those folks in every breed club.

Now...back to my question. Did you stop believing in fairy tales or are you just too embarrassed to repeat them in an open forum?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    JuvieCoot likes this.
  8. Kevin Burroughs

Not sure what you mean, your question is a fuzzy as your breeding standards are. All a person has to do is look at every hunting breed that wise and smart people have completely screwed up in the USA. When they try to fix things they end up going bad to strict breeding and performance standards that are tested. It is not my problem that the Tony the pony breeding system is not as good as the Thoroughbred system. All one has to do is look at all the health issues that Labs have and realize that its the wrong way to go.

There is no such thing as a backyard breeder in the DD system. Its why the system works.

If you will rephrase your question to something I can understand, I will be glad to answer it.

9. Silver Wings

I think you know good and well what I meant from this post a ways back. No worries...you can just leave it be. I'd be too embarrassed myself.

10. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

IMG_1533.JPG Gonna run interference here. Having hunted with arietta, and his GSP, I think one might be hard pressed to find a better breed to suit their needs.

Your dog has a few faults, as they all do, but I have never seen a better retrieving pointer. I watched this dog nail a 300 yard retrieve on a snow one day. I was impressed. I've also shot my share of chickens over her. Rock solid points.

And, she's a lover, not a fighter. My vote, another one like this.:)

Silver Wings likes this.