Getting buzzed

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Last week as temperatures approached 100 degrees, an amber substance began seeping from a light fixture in my walk in closet. it was sticky, and smelled sweet.and my dogs took a liking to it.
    top.jpg collapse.jpg honeycomb.jpg bee hive.jpg

We had the hive removed by professional bee keepers.the biggest part of the hive had collapsed due to wax moth larvea infestation, and the majority of the honey & comb had fermented. The bee keeper estimated that at one time around 80,000 bees had used the hive. The queen wasn't present, and only about 15,000-20,000 bee's remained. They collect all of the bees, and whatever comb they could, and relocated them in a hive less than a mile from my house. They kept about 200 pounds of honey and comb, and plan to dilute it and feed back to the bees in the fall.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. bullpinnie

it was a mess, but at least my dogs have sweet faces.... IMG_1449.jpg

3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

That’s awesome, especially for the dogs!!! I am new to beekeeping with only 2 hives. They are surprisingly docile. I do wear a hood but don’t use gloves and generally just wear a t shirt. Tried to catch my first swarm two days ago with a bait hive but no joy. Bees are fascinating. E4D97C13-EF9A-4070-9DF9-0F7CDB59AAA5.jpeg

4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Did the beekeeper say how long he thought the hive had been there? Some of that comb is pretty dark which is an indication it has been used many times.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

That's an awesome experience isn't it? I had a hive in a box of landscape edging that had a small hole in it on the side of my house. I had a beekeeper come by and remove the hive, queen and all. It was relatively new and had over 20k bees in it. I was shocked by the number of bees and the size of the combs inside that box.

bullpinnie likes this.
  6. bullpinnie

he said it was probably last year's hive. I saw them swarm on Mothers day ( two basketball sized balls of bees on my trees. Which was probably when most of the bees vacated the hive. We never knew we had bees in the attic until we started seeing honey last week.

I had been hearing them for a couple of months. I'd wake up and say to my wife, "whats' that buzzing sound". I'm half deaf (from 40 years of duck hunting w/o hearing protection). So my wife just thought I was imagining the buzz because she couldn't hear it.........go figure.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. bullpinnie

it was awesome all right. Possibly the most awesome $1000 I ever spent.:l:sp:cry

Ducker 4 Ever likes this.
  8. bullpinnie

After they removed the drywall, they sprayed some liquid that the bees didn't like on one side of the hive and corralled them on the other side , then vacuumed them into this box.
    box.jpg

They had 3 full bee suits, but didn't wear them. one guy used gloves only.
    They thought the bees were docile because the hive was stressed, and they had lost the queen.

cormier1 likes this.
  9. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Many years ago, my uncle always kept about about 30 or so bee hives. He taught me a lot about working with them. We would catch swarms with a vacuum cleaner motor he had built on top of a brood hive. I still remember robbing them in the summer, afterwards my aunt would make hot biscuits to go with the fresh honey. Still fascinated by honeybees.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

What a mess, I would love to have a few boxes.
    One of my friends keeps a few, he use to have a goose neck trailer full of them. He made pretty good money with them.
    I'm a fresh honey junky, I love the stuff. I would've kept a.bunch of that honey for sure.....good stuff!!!