Getting buzzed

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Dang man... Are you gonna have any good luck this year? You ever get your truck back? Does insurance cover bee infestations (if you needed to use it)?

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

So far my experience has been that bees without a queen are irritated and more aggressive. Was helping a friend (unlike me a real beekeeper) re-queen some hives and when we opened the hive I could tell the bees weren’t happy. Twice the noise. I didn’t get stung but they marked me 10 times in about 1.2 nanoseconds. I’ll admit I took a couple of steps back but at least I didn’t run whilst screaming like a little girl :no

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Ouch! I hadn’t considered the financial part of it. My hive was in a box outside which the beekeeper simply put in his truck and drove away with.

My cash out of pocket was about $0.10 for the benadryl I took for the bee stings I got standing there watching the beekeeper remove the bees.

4. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Refuge Member

I'm a first year bee keeper. They are fascinating. 20180710_153731.jpg

6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

MJ.....if that’s a first year hive I’m surprised to see 3 deeps and 2 supers. Did you use all boxes from the start or did you add boxes as needed?

Right or wrong I’m using all deeps, even for the honey boxes. I feel like my hives are doing really well and I just put on the 3rd boxes a couple of weeks back. How often do you break things down for inspection? I have been in my boxes every couple of weeks but haven’t disturbed the brood boxes the last couple inspections. I probably need to take a look in the bottom boxes.

7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Refuge Member

I bought used equipment with drawn comb which gave me a big jump start according to my bee guy. I bought it from my bee supplier it was all checked for disease.

I started with one deep then added the other two as needed. I just added the supers yesterday. I inspect all boxes once a week. We have had quite a bit of hot weather (MN) and swarming has been a big issue. My supplier has told me to inspect once a week and get rid of any swarm cells. I have not had my bees swarm so far.

8. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Don't know much about bee's, but I do know if you are ever around a tree that was recently cut down with a hive in it don't run or swat. I was working with the state park division one summer between college. We were doing some tree maintenance and the conservation tech was up in the boom truck taking down a tree. A couple of us were standing around waiting to begin clean up when a big chunk hit the ground and bee's exploded from everywhere. I stayed calm and didn't move, the older lady didn't. She panicked and started running and swatting, at the time myself and another guy were laughing hysterically when the park manager happened to drive by. He got out and yelled at us for not helping her (I honestly to this day don't know what he wanted us to do to help) He ran over and started swatting to try and get her in a vehicle. She made it someplace the bee's were no longer attacking her, but the manager was still getting stung. He ran back to his car yelling got in and took off like a racecar for about 2 seconds when he came to a screeching halt, got out yelling and swatting and returned to his car again.

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I've got a black cloud over me this year for sure. Insurance company totaled out my Yukon ($36K in damage), then i wrecked my rental car ( Not bad, but still $500 deduct. My 80 YO mother had a stroke, and now I've got honey bee's in my attic. frankly, aside from my mom, I'm not sweating any of it. Just wonder what it will be next.

I'm heading to duck camp this weekend to mow grass, get drunk, and relax for a few days.

letmwurk and QuaaackerJack like this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Oh wow... sorry to hear about your mother.

Best not to sweat most of that. Have fun at duck camp! Watch out for Mr. No-shoulders and don’t do any dumb **** on the tractor!