Getting buzzed

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

There is nothing better than raw honey. My preference is the goldenrod honey we typically get in the fall here in Ohio.

There are as many ways to keep bees as there are beekeepers. Don't under estimate the damage varroa mites can do. Many new beekeepers start out treatment free. They do fine the first year or two. After second winter they often become beeless beekeepers. I'll be making up some nucs to overwinter in a few weeks.

Tom

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

It's supposed to come in 3's?

Hope mom gets better.

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

How much honey will your nucs need for the winter? Will you feed into the fall to help the honey production?

I made a couple of crude nucs tonight for bait hives. Put a frame in each from my hives. One had some comb drawn and a little honey. Other just had some propolis but I figured it would be better than a new frame. Setting these at a house that has been reporting swarms.
    EAFADA40-7BF2-4DE9-A8B2-D1D6C6FF7853.jpeg 340AC954-2E15-4508-95B3-50F64D3E5804.jpeg

4. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

I do feed in the fall. I try to get the goldenrod honey before it gets a lot of aster nectar in it. The aster tends to crystallize fast. I don't always get that done.

I like nucs to have at least three full frames of stores for the winter. More is even better. I do a oxalic acid dribble between Thanksgiving and Christmas which lets me assess population size. Usually in late Jan or early Feb I will add a sugar brick on top. This provides emergency feed if they need it and also acts to absorb excess moisture too. Winters in Ohio are sometimes pretty wet.

I have never had a hive starve. Mites typically get them before the first of the year. I have not had hives die after late January. A strong, over-wintered nuc is usually a very good honey producer for me. They will build up fast enough to catch the black locust flow, if there is one.

Tom

5. Pulldoo

Pulldoo New Member

upload_2018-7-17_7-9-42.jpeg
    I could tell you some stories about bee removals. Before my back surgery’s I made a good living. This was behind a kitchen sink

6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Why is that comb so black? I think I see a lot of capped honey that is also very dark. I’m assuming the color is partially the age of the comb but also a dark nectar?

7. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

One of the local honey places will sell right out of their place. They have honey from bees that are kept in different locations so the honey is different colors and tastes. Years ago I was in there and they had a tasting cart setup that you could sample everything they had - that was awesome.

Honey from orange blossoms is too bitter.
    Honey from clover is light in color and nice and mild.
    Honey from blue sage, it's a bit dark in color and oh man - it's the best and I make sure to buy some every year.

They had others to sample as well, but I don't remember them all, but that honey that comes off the blue sage is my favorite for sure.

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Around here, Sourwood honey is about the best for my tastes but can be difficult to find. I had some from a Hutterite community in SK that was might tasty but had no idea what the honey came from.

9. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

Be careful-we had 2 hives-tame until one day-then a 50 yard run into the river. thought something had jarred the box before we got there?

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

What’s sunflower honey like?