Getting buzzed

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty dark. Guys at work called it gamey but other people asked for more.

2. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

As far as sunflowers go they produce a lot of pollen, I am not sure there is much nectar to make honey. I have heard of people making dandelion honey in the early spring. It is dark and has a strong flavor. The darkest honey I have made is buckwheat. It looks like used motor oil and has a very strong flavor, doesn't taste too sweet. I like it. But, my favorite is goldenrod honey.

Tom

3. thatguy2

Ive got buckwheat planted on my pond dam just for the bees. Hoping they make me some honey from it.

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Most people don’t realize it, but honey bees are not native to North America. Introduced.

5. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Apiary back home sets up next to sunflower fields and it is very good honey light and sweet as well as mustard fields which is very good as well. Millers who own it said the buckwheat honey isn't in high demand for the table but does have a good demand in the baking industry.

No pictures currently but they are coming to retrieve some of their bees. Seems something disturbed the boxes and caused the bees to swarm. They set up shop in our well box cover as well as in the old outhouse mom used to store garden tools. Yard is full of bees but they are docile if not disturbed.

I have never set up my own hives but we have had bees on our farm for 40+ years

6. Dion Brown

Dion Brown New Member

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I have a couple of bait hives set. One had a frame with a little comb and honey. No swarms yet but the local bees did steal the honey! I’m learning a little bit at a time!

8. thatguy2

Timber hole dont know where you are at exactly but here they say a swarm wont make it after july 1st.

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I’m near KC in the midwest. I’ve heard a small colony winters pretty good in a Nuc hive. Never tried it. Told the homeowner it’s probably too late to catch a swarm but we’re going to leave the Nuc boxes out just the same. All part of the learning curve for me!

10. thatguy2

Im about 100 miles due west.