Go-devil & fuel/water separator

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by creedsduckman, Feb 1, 2019.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Buddy of mine had some problems with his go-devil and figured out there was some water in his gas can. I asked him about installing a fuel/water separator. He said he thought they didn't work well with mud motors, something about messing up the fuel pressure. Anybody have this problem?

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I have a water seperator on my boat that had a 9.9 yamaha. With this BS alchohol gas I think it helped a lot. Never had a crappy running motor again. I didnt replace the filter each year cause it would take years to use up that filter. I’d just unscrew it and dump it into a jar. You’d be amazed how much water would be in there, a few inches, dayum alchohol gas. Now more stations carry alchohol free gas and thats what I use. I then put a Swamp Runner with the 670 V Twin Harbor Freight motor. I ran my tank all the way forward with an extended fuel line. Like one of the guys here predicted, she’d run at idle, or maybe 1/4 throttle, then kick off. I dont know if its the fuel seperator or the extra long fuel line but I had to add a low pressure 12 volt fuel pump. Around $17 for a high rated one on amazon. Easy install. I think outboards are built with a striong diaphram internal fuel pump and the Harbor freight, Hondas etc aren’t cause you usually have the tank very near with short hoses.

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The boat I bought from them has a water separator in the line.

4. Tailfeathers

I was just in Gander Outdoors and they had a good quality water seperator kit that consisted of the housing and two filters for $29. The two filters alone are worth about $7 each, that leaves the housing at around $15. Over all a good value and insurance in my book. We’ve had so many fuel issues with this gawd dam ethanol gasoline, That I see a WS as a must. The availability for ethanol free gas is certainly getting better, but you can’t always find it. Good luck.

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I have a water separator filter and an inline filter on My MB with the stock pulse style fuel pump, which pulls fuel thru over 14' of fuel line form my built in 12 gallon fuel tank in bow of boat. Havn't had any delivery problems with it.

Attached Files:

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

We've found can-type separators pretty much mandatory in our part of the country and have had good luck adding them them to Go-Devil powered boats up to 18' with forward fuel tanks. Haven't tried longer-lined applications.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

bullpinnie likes this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I run a can type fuel / water separator on my Briggs 36 HP Prodrive. Fuel tank in front. I have not added any kind of fuel pump. Works great.

9. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Senior Refuge Member

I actually ask the question earlier this year and went to Napa and got the whole thing on sale for about $25. Olefart help me out on this as well. Worked like a champ, MB 5500 Black Death. If you catch them during their "filter sale", the filters are $4.00!

10. Tailfeathers