Good or bad experiences with JD Gator 6x4

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 19, 2018.

1. smallmunster

smallmunster Refuge Member

Have had one or two at work for almost 20 years. They work well for hauling stuff and doing projects around the place. They are slow, no more than 15mph, and are not real good on snow or ice or deep sand. The don't turn very well either. The ones I have been around have been pretty dependable, they take a beating pretty well most of the time.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

The last big job I was on I had a JD Gator 825i that I had to beat on to get around the job site which was sand dunes and muddy rutted up redwood groves. Never had a problem getting it up steep sand dunes as long as I aired the tires down and it was good in 10'' to 1' of water and slick mud. I never had a problem with the breaks even hauling 80' of 4'' cast iron pipe on a rack we made for it. All and all it pretty much did everything I ever asked of it and I wasn't real nice to it. I drove it every day for two years without any problems that I can remember. They are slow, maybe 15mph downhill with a tailwind. (get the power steering):yes:yes:yes

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the input. The goal is a dependable no-frills machine for chores and light riding around at the river from place to place.

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Hi Steven -
    I'll throw in my .02 cents worth on the subject. I bought my Gator in 2013 over all of the others mainly because the JD dealership is 4 miles from our home. Honestly, it could have been 54 miles from our home because its been very dependable. We use the crap out of it & my Missus' loves it.
    As a matter a fact, I received a text with a pix about 20 minutes ago from my Missus'.
    It says, "ready to dump".

[​IMG]

She uses it all the time! We got the JD 625 instead of the 850 mainly because of the speed. Ours tops out at 32mph. The 850 tops out at 50+ mph. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. The head gator mechanic told me that most everything in the 625 is in the 850 except I have a smaller engine but same transmission for the most part. It will pull the same and climb the same for the most part.

If you do get one, make sure you get a front rack($250.00) well worth it. I do have the oil changed and lubed with new plugs every Nov. just so I know going into the winter it should start and run fine. Im on the same battery by the way.

[​IMG]

Price wise, they are all pretty much the same and I have never had any problems with the brakes. Only been stuck once and that was my fault. I put it in 4x4 AFTER I got stuck - dumb move-lesson learned.

I also take it down to the Marina a couple times a week on the county road about 1 1/2 miles from our home.
    I got lights and brake lights so no problem there & it goes the speed limit. Im pretty sure the bed is bigger than the ranger and some others. The dump is manual but it is no problem to dump the way it is balanced.

Me & Maggs......

5. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

1507405898454.jpg I bought a 825i last fall, the thing is great. We just got back from Mi trails. In 2.5 days we put a little over 200 miles on it. We bought it to use on the farm and clearing trails. We got the one with power steering. My wife loves it. They aren't built for speed, but they will take most anything you have about anywhere you want.

6. Dogface

Dogface Senior Refuge Member

My buddy has the older one with the 4 rear wheels. He uses it all the time and the local VFD uses it on occasion. He replaced the belt once and only because he thought it was getting old.

The only problems I found with it were that the ground clearance is low and steering in tight places is tough because of the rear wheel arrangement.

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

My neighbor has a 6 wheel gator. I only drove it once but it doesn’t steer worth a $&!@. If you want your turn radius to be within the county I’d consider 4 wheels.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Thanks fellas.