Good seed to soil contact

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

IMG_4407.JPG IMG_4406.JPG These pics highlight the benefits of good seed to soil contact when broadcasting seed. This is Japanese millet that was broadcast and then cultipacked.

WHUP ! Hen and stevena198301 like this.
  2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Cool pic. Overall looks like a good stand and some is just lagging. The biggest problem we have had with Jap Millet is the damn blackbirds mowing it down before the ducks have a chance at it.

3. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Clayton, looks good, I'll be cultipacking my next round. the doves found my latest round of planting which was just broadcasts. Between the doves and the killdeer that ate a ton but luckily I have had two successful plantings before this latest round.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

What I see, Clayton, is that the tractor wheels did an even better job of providing seed/soil contact than the cultipacker, which still appears efficient enough.

5. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

Has there been a lack of rain there? Looks like something else is going on also?

6. Clayton

Yes the tractor tires did provide even better contact.

At first yes it was dry but it has since changed, a lot! Plenty of seed sprouting now. Now to dang wet to finish planting. We traded our millet gor buckwheat but now wondering if we will get it planted in time!!!

7. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

Clayton,

Are y'all using a standard pto spin spreader to broadcast your seed? If so, how do you calibrate it and how accurate are your sowing rates?

8. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

Good question. I've always struggled with those damn things

9. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

Became a huge fan of a cultipacker 25 years ago when a farmer we leased our pit from told me to use it when planting my winter wheat food food plots. Nowadays we just rent a drill from the county FSA office, but if you can't drill it, used a cultipacker.

10. Clayton

The one we have now is a bit different and pretty accurate. The hardest part is getting the spacing right. There is a big difference in spread width when using ryegrass vs millet vs wheat/buckwheat. I will get a picture tomorrow.