Goose Flute Prototyping

Discussion in 'Committed Custom Calls' started by THEIRCOMMITED10, Apr 18, 2017.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Old School goose flute enthusiasts . What do you think Committed Custom Calls goose flute prototyping is under way in 2017 . Cody Fink demonstrating the smooth old school flute tones . Would like to hear your feedback . Thanks .

2. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Never jumped on the short reed wagon, have always used a flute, Will definitely be keeping a eye on your newest project, sounds good, keep us updated.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  3. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

Awesome Gary! Good Luck with the Flute!

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  4. THEIRCOMMITED10

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it .

5. rcatron

rcatron New Member

Having never used a flute, how do they compare to short-reeds in learning how to use?

6. THEIRCOMMITED10

Hi there Rcaron . The flute is different than the short reed in that it gives you more of that natural sound just by blowing air into it . You don't have to use voice inflection or hands nearly as much to create the different goose tone or deep goose tone .

You might notice you don't have to pitch the notes off to break like say you would with the short reed in order to get that nice rich goose . You can almost blow through to get your break . I close my hands down on the end of the note when you break it , where as short reed I do the opposite I open my hand somewhat to an extent at the end of the break to throw the sound (think like a duck call).

Many of us started out on flutes before shortreeds really took off . Now you don't hear of many guys still using flutes . Some say flutes are "easier" . It's a different animal in many ways than a short reed . But if you've been around calls and calling it's one those things a guy can pick up on quick with alittle practice and dedication .

We are going to use them heavily this fall guiding and prototyping and maybe I will make a run of flutes for guys and we are going to test and see if giving them something different will give us an edge this year.