Goose jerky and sausage

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by salthunter, Sep 10, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We end up with a bunch of geese each year. My daughter gave me a LEM grinder , which really does a better job than I thought. I never hit a piece of shot either.

What are some jerky and sausage making tips and receipts.

2. salthunter

Lets go with recipes not receipts:doh

3. salthunter

Thanks Native!!

4. RAININDUCKS

RAININDUCKS Refuge Member

I have a LEM grinder also. Best bang for your buck. Grind a bunch of ducks/geese then add about 30-35 percent lean ground beef. I use High Mountain Jerky seasonings(many to choose from). Shoot the mixture onto a dehydrator with a jerky shooter. I guarantee you and your family/friends will not be able to get enough of it. I'll usually make 10lbs batches and it's gone in a week.

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

For goose jerky I just grind it up, add high mountain jerky seasoning and cure like the directions say and sometimes a little more of my own spices. Everyone loves it.

I have some goose sausage recipes but will have to get them from my notes at home.

6. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

We mixed a bunch of divers (old squaw, buffies, ringneck, etc), some goose and some left over venison from the year prior with some fatty pork butt and made summer sausages on the smoker. They turned out excellent IMG_20160221_225522179.jpg

ronaldo and callinfowl like this.
  7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

We really like bratwurst so we use the LEM premixed Brat spices, and add about 25% pork trimmings (mostly fat, but some meat also) from a local butcher.

Alternatively - I will use an Italian Sausage mix, and use beef trimmings in the same ratio.

What I am really looking for is a good spice mix or recipe for GYRO meat - substituting deer and/or goose. If anyone has something like that - please share.

8. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

What is a good entry level grinder if a guy wanted to start grinding some meat?

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Not sure how well it works with ground meat but Smoking Gun Jerky marinade is by far better tasting and way easier to use than the High Mountain stuff.