Got Bands?

Discussion in 'Nevada Flyway Forum' started by PSchmidt, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PSchmidt

PSchmidt Refuge Member

This summer staff at Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge banded over 1,100 birds including over 300 coots! The top 3 species banded (other than coots) were mallards, canvasbacks, and redheads.

Water level in the hunt area is good and similar to last year. For those of you who enjoyed the once-in-a-decade fantastic hunting at Franklin Lake last year keep it in your memory because the public part of the lake is dry this year. In any case, I am seeing a large influx of green-winged teal and a few other birds these days. Notably, I have not heard or seen a Canada goose in a few weeks. I think they're all feeding in pastures in the north end of the valley.

I have used our Argo to mash a few trails into the marsh for foot access to some of the pond areas that were inaccessible or otherwise hard to reach. These are not paved trails by any means, but will provide some additional walk-in access. I hope to post a map on our web site sometime next week before the opener.

I hope to see some of you here this year, and wish you all a great waterfowl season.

Pete

2. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Thank you Pete for the update and the work you do for sportsman and sportswomen.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Send some of those branded Mallards and Cans down to Alamo.Please

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Just curious,why band so many coots?

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

duly noted

6. PSchmidt

PSchmidt Refuge Member

I knew someone would ask that question! Because we can! Actually, we catch a lot of coots, because we have a lot coots. Once we have them in hand it's easy to put a band on them (if you don't mind being all scratched up and bitten) and we can track their movements and survivorship just like the other birds. We only banded about 40 last year and actually had a return from southern California. I put collars on cacklers in Alaska and it just killed me that we flung out all the brant, emperors, and white-fronts without banding them. Bands cost next to nothing and we've already put in the labor of baiting and trapping, so why not? I hope this helps.

Pete

7. PSchmidt

PSchmidt Refuge Member

I wanted to give you an update on the walk-in paths that we have created. Maps and information are available on our web site. There are 9 walk-in sites including one that provides additional canoe/kayak access. Please let me know if you have any questions. https://www.fws.gov/refuge/ruby_lake/

Pete