Gotta take back all those terrible things I said about this guy......

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Dan Mallia, Mar 10, 2018.

1. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

There was only one in the Bay Area... Lester Hayes.

ducslayer likes this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Football is gayer than Aids!!!

JuvieCoot, mak2782 and Johnny Ringo like this.
  3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I'm a Niners fan but I'll take Mike Haynes or Eric Wright over Deion. Sherman WAY MORE physical than Deion. Deion was gifted in coverage, but was a poor tackler but exciting if he ever picked it. I'm hard pressed to find someone more exciting with the ball in their hands than Deion. Even with that though, Haynes and Wright more balanced. What was sad about Wright is his career ended early with the terrible groin injury. Haynes is the best ever in my opinion. I would like to hear an argument against him as he was a silent Deion but if you watched the Raiders you know the results when teams tried to go to his side. Most solid CB in history IMO.

I'll take Lott as one of my safeties. In fact the entire 83-84 secondary with Wright, Hicks, Williamson and Lott all made the Pro Bowl. Only time that has ever happened. Better than the Legion of Boom.

Kevin

Dan Mallia likes this.
  4. Allinodad

Allinodad Senior Refuge Member

Maybe I was having a bout of myopia, it’s happened before. When I think of the corner position, more than anything I think it’s purpose is to stop the passing game. That being said, I can see why people drop Deion down a notch or two because of his shortcomings in the other aspects of the game, his speed and cover skills made him a nightmare to the other team and he really did “shut down” his side of the field, but I see your point. Cheers

Calikev likes this.
  5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I sure loved watching "Dwight Hicks and the Hot Licks" back in their day. Besides interceptions and forced fumbles they put some punishing hits on opposing receivers. Receivers from other teams were heard to say they did not look forward to playing the Niners. If he is pretty healthy I think Sherman will contribute a good deal. His smarts coupled with experience will help the younger DB's. He brings energy too which is a third force.

6. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

Well Kev your almost right about Neon Deion, AKA Prime Time...he did not like to hit! Quite a few others are the same...their superior skill set makes up for a lot.

7. chubby

chubby Senior Refuge Member

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I do not think the Rams will be looking past the Niners this year. As you recall the niners only lost by a touchdown in their first game last season. Niners won big in the second game but hat does not really count as the Rams were resting a lot of their starters for the playoffs.

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

In 1985 my college Fraternity played the 49ers in an exhibition basketball for charity. We actually got Lott, Hicks, Williamson, Board, Stuckey, Reese, Pillars and a receiver I can't remember right now. They each got $300 and then it was a few hundred to the 49er foundation. It was a fun time and after the game Lott went home but we went out to the bar with Hicks, Williamson and Board and a couple others. It was a fun night.

10. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

How cool was that...special time along life’s path.