Guided Deer Hunt (Maine, VT or maybe NH?)

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by num70, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Shepabs

Shepabs Elite Refuge Member

Saskatchewan is nice but travelling there and back is a nightmare. I flew out of Boston to Toronto and then to Saskatoon in October on Air Canada. Customs is a nightmare. You have to recover your bags at Toronto to clear customs going both ways, pay your fees and then recheck your bags and go through the TSA line again going both ways. Lost my hunting gear going up and my gun coming back.
    Freaking nightmare. The US customs agents working in Toronto that you have to clear on the way back are a bunch of ********! One gave my gun case a toss of about 20 feet onto the ramp. I was pissed but in this day and age, you can't say anything!!
    I loved the hunting but the travel nightmare would keep me from ever going back

2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I wish you were the first one I'd heard that from. Seems to be a pretty common theme. It is one helluva trip from the E. Coast.

3. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks New Member

Same here with me in Saskat on a duck/ goose hunt our bags never made it not because they were lost just not enough room on the palne had to drive 50 miles to pick them up next day.. Northern states like Maine and Vermont have relatively low success rates and it can be boring for a 10 year old to see nothing for days. I know guys that go to Maine every year some never see a deer, on the other hand one shot a 248 lb 8 point last year. Most of the bucks I've shot in Vermont where I live are 150 lbs or lighter, last years 125 . Good luck

4. whytey

whytey Senior Refuge Member

Best way to go to Sask is drive, long trip but definitely less of a hassle. Headed out in October for two weeks.

5. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

I agree with the earlier post wait and go to Texas. Just move from Texas last year and I saw the deer around here. I just rather not hunt one that small. I guess I am just not that hungry

6. RememberBaker

RememberBaker New Member

Have you considered NY state out around Rochester? That's where I'd be looking.

7. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I haven't. I deer hunt in NYS but much further east. Just past the Berkshires. (small deer country.)
    Not really aware of any guided operations in Western NY.

8. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I agree with what is said. If you want a big northern ME buck I would say that a 6 day hunt with a 25% success expectation would be GREAT!