Hand loaded TSS for 20ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 1, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

For anyone who hand loads TSS shotshells and sells them...

What is the going price? I intend to get some loaded up soon, and don't even know where to begin on what the cost per shell is to buy them.

2. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

I load this stuff myself but have never sold any. TSS shot runs average of $50/lb. Most guys that do sell are getting $12/shell for 2 ounce turkey handloads. Just an example.

If you don’t understand the performance characteristics and economics of this stuff, you may be all out-of-balance. Its easy to end up with bullets that have excess capability way beyond ordinary human capability. I mean way, way beyond! If you are still interested I can walk you through it.

3. stevena198301

I'm just wanting to pattern a few (6-8) through the new turkey gun and see what it looks like. If I like the results, I then want to buy some.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I’d like to try some in my Auto 5 Magnum 20. With shooting such small diameter shot, is the choke sélection the same as it is for lead? What’s the capabilities of the 2.75" compared to the 3"?

5. Drakehammer

Turkeys or ducks or geese? You can open the chokes by 5-15 thou vs. your lead chokes. Its superhard and does not deform on setback and the ultra high density allows it to fly straighter farther with less drop and wind to consider at a given distance. There’s very little reason to use a 3” TSS load. Youre only gonna be shooting 9s-7s for waterfowl and turkeys.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  6. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Turkey. I don’t $hoot as much during turkey season as I do duck season. I also have an old single shot Savage/Stevens 3" fixed full 20, that I’d like to see what it’s capable of.

Drakehammer likes this.
  7. stevena198301

I’m currently running a .555 Carlson’s choke in the new 870 20ga. And it was decent with Kent Diamond turkey 4s. I wasn’t overly impressed, but they look like they’d work out to 35 ok. The Win Double-X 5s weren’t as good. Would you go .565 with the TSS?

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’ll be honest Stevena, lead 4’s out to 60 (and a tight pattern) will kill most any gobbler stone dead. Yes, the TSS extends that beyond anything we’ve ever seen but the game to me is to get birds inside 20-25 yards(with any gauge) but still be able to kill that gobbler that hangs up way beyond. I’m not so sure TSS wouldn’t cleanly kill at 100 yards but is that what you’re really after?

9. Drakehammer

My first choice for 20ga is 1 5/8oz #9 TSS choked (until we get our choke line finished) with an Indian Creek .555-.565 based on what Mike or Stewart at IC recommend. 4s and 5s are just too big to give good dense patterns in the lead products ive seen. That #9 shot will yield over 500 pellets with 70+ yard turkey lethality.

Sunklands likes this.
  10. stevena198301

I had those backwards... Kent’s were 5s, Wins were 4s. I paid less than $4/box for each on clearance at Academy. That’s why I went to the patterning board with them first. I just built out this gun, and those were the two shell brands Academy had. I’d like to try Mag Blends or another Hevi product through it (maybe Hevi-13, if it’s still made).

On a separate note, regarding Indian Creek chokes... that is what I was running in my A5 with Mag Blends. The pattern is good, but the POI was two feet low. It’s dead on with duck choke/shell combo. I had two other guys shoot it to verify, from a sitting position. Same thing. Any thoughts? Shell velocity too low for some reason? It made the normal BOOM like every other gun that was shot. Choke constriction slowing it down, or doing something else wonky?