Hand loaded TSS for 20ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

My first guess is that the velocity is not likely the cause. At 40 yards drop just isnt that much with standard turkey load velocities. I think there may be something misaligned between the tube and the bore. POI varies between different chokes. I would lazer the 40 yards also, as opposed to pacing off 40 big steps.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That was with a rangefinder. 40 yards bbl to target.

Drakehammer likes this.
  3. Drakehammer

I know Indian Creek guys are awesome customer service guys and stand behind their product. I would not hesitate to call them and tell them about your poi issues with their choke and the A5. They will work with you to get it right if at all possible. They will tell you all chokes poi differently, but hang in there and tell them yours is useless in this case because 2’ is way too much. Before all that though, give the choke the benefit of the doubt and reshoot it with those magblends and some other Turkey shell products. I know the 2oz and especially the 2.25oz magblends kick hard and they can be hard to shoot on the bench without flinching and closing eyes. Patterning turkey shells requires a lot more discipline than people understand to generate meaningful data. Just some suggestions to double check.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Indian Creek is only about an hour from me. Remember when those guys started. I run a .690 of theirs in my single shot 10 gauge and love it.

Drakehammer likes this.
  5. Drakehammer

I checked the numbers. There are 581 TSS #9s in 1 5/8oz. Running at 1100fps, you have 75 yards of turkey death at your disposal. I do not recommend going smaller than 9s, but some people want even more pellets. Personally, I think a marginal shot through leaves and light brush or weeds is better met with 8's, and you'll hear the same from people in the know. I use 8s now in my 12ga loads. But for 20ga I stick with 9s.

6. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I know exactly what you are talking about with respect to turkey load patterning! This article is a little out of date, since it doesn't have some of the newer designer turkey loads, but I think it still has some good info.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting-old/turkey_loads.htm

Good luck!

Drakehammer likes this.
  7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Why such small pellets with TSS? Wouldn’t the load have even more energy and range, if 6, 5, or 4’s we’re used?

8. Drakehammer

Sure the energy would go up dramatically, way beyond what is useful and necessary to kill a turkey. And the pellet count would go down accordingly. You only need enough kinetic energy to penetrate the turkeys head or break a neck, which is very small for a turkey. The ballistic gel penetration "equivalent" for a turkey is usually 1.2 or 1.25 inches...the same as a small duck. Since most people shoot at a turkey head or neck (not the body) and those areas are small targets at any distance, dense small pellets with huge pellet count makes TSS #9-#8 ideal for turkeys. The density of TSS is 18g/cc, the most dense shot on the market. That's why TSS is so effective. You can use a much smaller shot size compared to lead...and put more pellets in that magic 10"-20" circle, without needing a butt kicking 2-2.5 oz load. The recoil penalty of traditional turkey loads has been sliced. Just a reminder that people used to use lead #4s and #5s to get more distance and circumvent a potential brush interference problem. But the pellet count was low so the pattern was sparse. TSS also patterns substantially tighter than anything else on the market. So for a given weight, you run 4-5 pellet sizes smaller using TSS than lead or Hevi-Shot (because their density is similar in reality), and get better penetration (lower frontal area and higher kinetic energy) with the tightest, most dense patterns possible. But TSS also responds well to choke constriction and different choke designs. I posted some patterns recently that demonstrate this. So you can get the pattern you actually want. The only penalty for using TSS is cost.

9. BDavis

BDavis Refuge Member

Id love to give some TSS a try but it’s so expensive. I know you’re not shooting a lot for turkeys but Longbeard 6’s pattern real well out my Affinity 20 Gauge. Here in MA I’m mainly hunting woods so the chance at shots beyond 40 is minimal. If I was to hunt large open fields TSS might be worth the price. IMHO one of the best things about turkey hunting is when they get in close enough that you can feel the gobble in your chest.

Drakehammer likes this.
  10. Drakehammer

If I was still buying turkey loads, longbeard would be one to definitely try. The patterns i have seen are awesome.