Hand loaded TSS for 20ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 1, 2018.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

It's supposed to be pure Tungsten at 18 G/CC, contrary to all the BS that's being spewed here you can get the same effect by using 6's or 5's of HW13 or HW 15 for about half the cost of TSS. Paying that kind of money for shells borders on ridiculousness but there are true believers who think TSS will bring the blessings of the Hunting Gods to them.
    You want HW shells let me know and I'll make them for you and for a whole lot less than $12 a shell.

2. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Really? Its actually not pure tungsten at 18g/cc. Check it out. Duh.

And no you can’t get close the same effect with HW13 or HW15. Most experienced people know that you don’t get something for nothing. Well maybe in some world’s you do.

Only BS being spewed here is the uninformed rhetoric of a silly old man.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Ok. Lets see who’s spewing BS. Put up or shut up, how about that? I’ve generated a few patterns with 2oz TSS loads I built and posted them on this site a few days ago. 651 pellets in 20” and 459 in 10” circles @ 40 yards is my personal best, but it is certainly not record setting. Now you go put together some of your famous loads and show us that you can get “the same effect” with HW13 or HW15 5’s or 6’s. I mean any 2oz load you want to showoff...any gauge, any velocity, any choke. Do it and I will be gone from this forum. But if you can’t do it, you be gone. I’m sick of the foolish chatter. Deal?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. 10GAGENUT

First off the BS I'm speaking of the is not how good TSS is or isn't, it's the fact of the misinformation being given out.
    The reason most people have been using such small shot sizes and light payloads with TSS is to keep costs down per shell as I stated the ridiculous cost of it, not for any other reason. Why you would even need a 2 oz load of TSS is beyond me if it, there's guys out there shooting much lighter small shot loads of TSS in 28 gauge guns getting excellent results, so why do you need a 2 oz load of it? One question people should ask you is why would anyone want, need or even be able to kill a turkey at 75 yards with shotgun??????????
    Most people as I stated can get by with HW13 or HW 15 and avoid the cost of TSS if they so choose which you didn't state either, be nice to be truthful and give people options. Being truthful with people about what they are spending their money on for me helps a great deal, which is why I made the statements I did. There are no economics of it, the truth is you pay you the wazoo for TSS, yeah it works great but most people really don't need to use it with all the other shot types out there or bear the added costs of it.
    Here you go for sub gages...16 gauge 1 1 /4 oz load of # 6 HS(13G/CC) at 40 yards 1325 fps, even you could kill a turkey with it and it didn't cost me $8 for one shell like your 2 oz of TSS did.
    16g#6hevi.JPG
    Since this is a Waterfowling forum here you go again
    10 gauge 1 3/4 #2 HS(13G/CC) 40 yards, that's a 15 inch circle in the center, tight enough for you???
    #2hevi705T.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Absolutely not. I’m after a pattern out of a 20 that will kill them every time at a max of 40ish. 35-40, in all honesty, but you know how it goes in the woods. Guesstimates are made, and sometimes they are just a touch farther than you realized.

The reason for wanting to play around with the TSS loads is the concept of more small pellets “covering” that pattern, NOT distance, for me. If I felt confident with lead 8s getting it done at 40, I’d use them. I looked for 3” lead 8s, and couldn’t find any.

6. BDavis

BDavis Refuge Member

8FEA76E0-C0B9-4ED2-BFA6-445182A6F2E5.jpeg Try the Longbeards. Here’s a pattern at 40 from an affinity 20 gauge with primos tightwad choke. These are 6’s.

7. 10GAGENUT

Which is great and your thinking do able distances, not 75 yards, which I totally agree with. I just think it's another thing that if you don't need it than why spend the extra money on it, but that's my thinking.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

If I knew how to post pictures on this darn site w/o all the hosting BS that is apparently required, would show the Nebraska Tom taken at 37 yards with 1 1/8 ounce handload of #7 TSS using factory FULL in the Sweet Sixteen.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Will be in H'ville come August and bring you some 2 3/4" in 20 gauge loaded with 1 1/8 ounces of TSS in #8's to try.