Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

I would say realism is about as good as it gets on factory plastic decoys. Granted some paint schemes on certain brands are a little off but generally speaking I am impressed with how realistic standard plastic decoys have become. Paint durability on the other hand still has a lot to be desired but I would think it is getting more and more challenging to improve on the current run on the mill plastic decoy.

2. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

My guess is that the future will be in poses (preening, feeding, quacking, etc) along with decoys that are more meant to attract than be a perfect picture of an actual duck. Higdon touches on this with their white colored paint scheme that is logically too light colored...but they do it on purpose because it increases visibility over distance.

This is similar to fishing lures. Nothing in nature is colored the way many lures are colored. Lures move in ways real fish don't...but they are there to trigger a bite, not look like actual fish.

Decoys will go the same direction...sizes...poses...colors...more about attracting ducks than about realism.

Fowler267 and Cocklebur like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That would make way too much sense for most folks. (Even while they're putting spinners and butt-fountains in the middle of the duckiest decoys they can find.) Most will likely always think "just like a duck" the Holy Grail of calling, too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

"New" styles of decoys are meant to attract your wallet. :l:l

lax likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Exactly!

I buy them because I like looking at them. Not because they work better, because they don't and a lot of times the more realistic colors don't show up well enough to attract attention from long distances.

Ringbill and Clayton like this.
  6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Some of the manufacturers have realistic decoys, just the numbers they put in box is off which is usually 50% are high head. Make in 1 out of six like goose decoys, then you would be close.

7. lockingblock

lockingblock New Member

There is a lot of truth to the positioning issue. How many ducks do you see sitting like your typical decoy? How many are usually feeding, preening, high head, and so on? Yet...most decoys come one shape and position. Dakotas at least have a good # of variable positions. Avians too, depending on what you buy.

8. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Refuge Member

It works...:)

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

About the only place to go is poses...

But if you're asking, have the companies topped out where they can take a mass plastic reproduction of a high-quality base carving, that itself is realistic but still has flaws from a live bird...and painted by whomever according to the chart they have in front of them with limited knowledge of ducks, behavior, plumage, etc.....yes probably.

Having carved a few, I'll say that poses are a funny thing. Too extreme, and it looks fake because no bird can preen with a wing up forever. So, you need to go with "90%" poses...sleepers, no head feeders, more alert, resters, etc. But, those also have to be packed and boxed. No head feeders? Easier than stretched out feeders. Sleepers, nice. So it is a function of logistics as much as setting up different molds for every pose, paint, etc. And every hunter has an opinion on how many should be per dozen; the more poses, the less margin. Hen versus drake ratio? I like 2 hens per 6 decoys...how many sleepers, stretch feeders, no heads?

And there is a certain, "the man has a point" when you see these great decoys and a duck butt decoy in the middle squirting water 15 feet.

Tuleman and Ringbill like this.
  10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

another thing to think about...

several times, mostly in the timber, but also in fields, I have seen more ducks work when the decoys were being tossed together in one pile to bag up with people milling around and sloshing water...anchors all wrapped around them, sitting at odd angles...head up, butt up, listing...the decoys, not the hunters...mostly...and ducks piling in to the middle of the wad of decoys...

So....???

Fowler267 likes this.