Decoy Forum Sponsors

Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I saw this quite often before I started using texas rigs and still use a wad of decoys in the middle of my spread at times and always pack the rest of my spread tight with a few more spaced out on the upwind side. Always get told my decoys are packed too tight, even when I'm killing limits. :l

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Ringbill likes this.
  2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Probably looks like a feeding frenzy over concentrated food. Add in movement and thus ripples created by hunters gathering and tossing decoys.

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

The first year I hunted my current marsh pothole, I had a young retriever prone to hanging up in the braided line I then strung my decoys with and dragging them to the little island the blind is on, where he'd shed them before coming on to his dog stand. Spot where he exited the pond ended up looking like a decoy parking lot. But it was easy to be lazy about "fixing" the mess, because it didn't appear to bother anything but me (and perhaps some of my hunters?), and some finishing birds did seem to key on it, as though it were the banquet table.

If I were counting on decoys for attraction, it might well be something I'd try to reproduce.

4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

As mentioned, most plastic decoy makers have plenty of things to work on & even the best----Avian & GHG
    do to. poses are the next big thing & I purposely buy several brands of a specie to add the various poses & looks.
    I generally hand brush paint them all anyway---even brand new & out of the box.
    Some of this isn't necessary of course---but I like spending my marsh time looking at a nice spread.

On that note, I've got a few blinds in a location I have hunted for 6 decades, & I use my retro / heritage
    decoy set. It consists of really old plastic decoys my dad & the old timers used back in the 50s & 60s when I was a kid
    & then a teenager.
    Old Carrylites, Flambeaus, Victor / Animal trap & of course Minnesota's own Herters.
    I've got them all in good shape now, foam filled, Tanglefree cord & torpedo anchors & a good paint job.
    Not quite the look of the newest Avians & GHGs, but work just fine & I like hunting the same blinds & decoys as 60 years ago. I even have old 3 hp Evinrude Duck Twins from the 50s!

Ringbill

Il. MudDuk, Billy Bob and Clayton like this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Nice to see another hunter that appreciates a retro decoy spread. :tu I enjoy using Flambeau decoys I got when I was a kid...in the 80's :l Love those old pintails with the huge thick tail. I also have been putting together 2 different spreads. One is a spread of older N&B rubber inflatables, 40 mallards, a few pintails and 10 Canadas. The other consists of Victor D-9's, featherlites and some carrylites that I think were made before I started hunting the the early 80's (Never seen them in any old magazines or catalogs). My old Stevens pump 20 gauge which was my first shotgun I got when I was 10 years old gets a work out over those spreads. The memories that come back to me when using those retro decoys and my first gun are cherished.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer the lost decoys... Poses and paint might be lacking but the price is RIGHT! I have a great appreciation for weak swivels, too short decoy cords, too light decoy anchors and duck hunters who can't tie a knot or wont replace worn line!

JP and Tuleman like this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I wonder why no one has made a headless feeder like those stretched neck mallards?

8. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I don't know, but all I can tell you the money they cost today and the realism they try to duplicate is over kill. The right location and good concealment will kill more birds than any decoy they will ever produce.

Fowler267, rhpierce and Billy Bob like this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

1. Carve a master
    2. Pay for the mold
    3. Produce _________ at a minimum
    4. Ship those awkward shapes at _______ per box, meaning a per dozen cost of _________, which some will say "that's too much for something like that", "I don't need those to kill ducks", "they just want me to buy more"
    5. Discontinue the line and move on.

Fowler267 likes this.