Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Pretty sure he is talking about the ones where the neck is visible but not the head. Talked about this with someone with GHG many years ago. It had apparently been discussed but they felt it looked to much like a dead duck laying in the water and they thought it might spook ducks.

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

The one thing I'd love to see in a plastic decoy is for it to be made of clear flat finish plastic, and painted from the inside out! The paint would never chip! Feel free to ruin with this idea if you're motivated enough!!!! :)

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Not surprising that they didn't listen considering that they were against making feeders with heads until their no head feeder was a sales flop. They really don't seem to know about how live ducks act. The feeder you suggested would have sold much better.

I had a similar experience years back when I suggested brown decoy bags instead of the stupid bright green. The response was that the camo pattern was hard on machinery, so I said I was talking about solid brown and got the same response. :scratch At least Cabelas was smart enough to start producing brown bags, that I now have many of.

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I feel there are plenty of choices out there for the different poses. It's their color combinations and paint longevity that could use some improvements.

I bought some AvianX widgeon dekes before the season, and I think they look realistic. They have a couple different poses. But, while the drake paint is excellent, the hens need some work. Too much "orange" to them. Darn, I need to touch them up.

upload_2018-4-19_13-55-49.png

Attached Files:

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Wallet is empty and shed is full....wish Avian would market a ringneck/blackjack decoy. I know it is a small duck and frowned upon by those who have lots of choices, but I don't have that luxury. Carved my own cork ones that work. Like the Higdon regulars- they can be bigger of course- I am now looking at their "Battleship" series. Yes, I have "converted" mallard, bluebill, and others to ringer status, and they work. Bought some Tanglefree magnum ones and they are pretty drab but work- functional but lack cosmetic appeal. I ain't moaning, I use pump guns, and my duck boat paint would not make the parking lot concours contest, just desiring a better plastic production decoy...I sold off my vintage G&H ringers to a newbie at a great price- they were good albeit the paint sucked and some of those swivel heads came off, but I think overpriced at present- if they were foam-filled I would get a dozen. The one positive is I don't need a lot of decoys for my marsh- just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have lots of decoys.:tu

Ringbill likes this.
  6. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

I happen to think guys who can take a decoy and fully flock both Hens and drakes will have the edge.
    Happy with mine, but always room to improve.

7. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

Shoot me a pm if you’d like to see them go to a good home and get used like they were supposed to!!

Spencer5100 likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Ahh... Copy.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

If a guy wants the best looking decoy he can get, the factory may not be the last word in an attractive decoy.
    A guy willing to put in the time (It can take a lot) can end up with a much better looking spread by his own hand. IMG_0985.JPG

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It's time for anther retro spread only season just to show the realism is for the hunter and not the ducks. Black and dark brown decoys, decoys with little to no paint, old plasti duck inflatables, victor and featherlites, random collections of junkers. I will try to get some video of birds backwinging into the decoys to share with the non believers here. :tu

Ringbill, GUNNERX2 and Fowler267 like this.