Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Be sure to get a video of how the hunters confidence and overall enjoyment of an outing is enhanced hunting over the best spread he can put together.
    There is something to be said for the esthetics, heritage, and tradition of the work you've done as well.
    But you're right, ducks can be killed over just about anything. A rusted Stevens shotgun can do the job as well.

Ringbill likes this.
  2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Don't be fooled. One of the best hunters I know consistently kills limits of birds with a couple dozen mallard shell decoys, a couple dozen lowly plop decoys, a spinning wing decoy, good calling and good concealment on public land, competing against many other hunters.

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They'll land in a spread of coke bottles and oil jugs, if you put enough corn in the middle... :dv

Fowler267, JP and GUNNERX2 like this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Or just put 'em in the right place. It's when you move away from that right place that stuff starts to matter more.

Cocklebur, Tuleman and Clayton like this.
  5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

They would likely land in the same area better with no decoys (i.e. coke bottles and oil jugs).

How well, and which decoys will work is highly dependent on the population of birds being hunted...

High pressured areas and stale birds, realism will work better... Or at the very least will not push birds off as much...

Low pressured areas, more visible and less realistic decoys would probably work better than more realistic decoys.

Opening day on resident geese that have never been shot at, those gigantic over-sized 747 goose decoys attract attention from a long ways off and might work better than smaller realistic decoys... After those same geese have been shot at, standard sized flocked (realistic) decoys are probably going to be more effective...

6. Fsbirdhouse

Less realistic decoys working BETTER? Don't know about that?
    I like the flocked decoys because they look better to me in bright conditions as far as the contrast in colors that stand out then, and also there is little glare and shine off the surface compared to painted only decoys.
    Speaking of the old G&H 747 goose decoys, I have a friend who puts black pipe insulation along the bottom edges of those decoys to make them very efficient oversized floaters on big water.
    He has phenomenal luck drawing big flocks of Honkers on really big water.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes I do believe that big and flashy can work better...

I have standard sized fully flocked decoys that look extremely natural... I have seen what I believe is the cartoonish looking larger Full Curl decoys outperform them... Likely due to being more visible...

After shooting those birds a couple times, the more realistic decoys would probably work better (or at least not have birds flare off them)....

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I see the cartoonish or dark brown decoys out pull more realistic decoys at times every season. The ultra realistic decoys don't show up at a distance as well as the cartoonish or dark decoys. In large open areas you can't beat dark decoys. An example of the visibility of dark decoys is when we hunt sea ducks, the black scoter decoys show up 3 to 4 times as far away as the scaup and goldeneye decoys in the set. Same applies to puddlers in larger areas. It doesn't matter how realistic your decoys are if the birds key in on dark decoys they see first. In past seasons when I've hunted a retro spread for the entire season I was still landing birds on heavy hunted public marshes the last week of our 107 day season with decoys that were near black because of missing paint.

I like the ultra realistic decoys and I use them because I enjoy looking at them but I don't lie to myself and say they work better when results have proven any decoy will work.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Sound wisdom about larger, darker decoys in big water.
    I hunt very tight water birds are used to coming to early on, but the same success as bigger flocks show up in mid to late December in my Honey Hole.

There are so many variables in how birds react. Even from day to day and different weather conditions.

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member