Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have both magnum and "life-size" plastic decoys...do any of you mix these and is there any strategy/rationale for how you set them out? I've tried putting the magnums as outliers and life-size closer in- is this logical or is there any "science" for the opposite setup?

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I never worried much about the size difference. If at all, I would put the larger decoys up wind to make the whole spread look larger. I do put my best decoys where I try to make the birds land. Put them in the sun if hunting a hole etc.

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Ok, similar thinking...I usually put my cork ones in the "zone".

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Decoys have made some amazing changes over the years.
    Since Im more of a goose hunter than duck hunter the past 15 years The changes have been incredible.
    I believe much better decoys could still be made.
    I prefer the look of my 2-piece DSD Honkers over the new 1-piece decoys. But I prefer the size of the new.
    Paint quality will likely improve.
    A few decoys I have always likes it the "swan decoy" by what ever company is producing it. I also like the usability of my G and H teal decoys.
    I just wish there was a stackable mid-sized sleeper goose "shell" style decoy that looked like the DSD full body sleeper!

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I always put the larger decoys in close when I mix because looking at those large decoys can cause issues with range estimation. (sometimes they seem to appear closer because they are large) I like to have the life size birds where I want to take the shot, theory being that when the ducks appear near the size of the decoys I know what range they are.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

At least to my eye, mixing sizes in a spread helps add to it's illusion of life. So when I used both magnum and "life-sized" mallards, I mixed them.

(Now just scatter a few teal among my little pods of mallards for the same effect.)

7. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Had a guy with some of those monster flambeau mallard super mags in our club a few years ago. You know the ones that are so big, they look cartoonish? Or like personal floation devices? He had a single pair, hen and a drake.

I can't explain it and laugh about it to this day but every time we put out 12-15 dozen decoys and drop those two super mags at the edge of the hole. The teal would light right next to those monsters. Every time.

8. Billy Bob

It's what they see first. Just like when I'm hunting near other hunters and birds see my dark oversize decoys first and pull the birds away from the other spreads. I had mallards always landing with the 2 oversize drake bufflehead decoys on the side of my spread so I moved them to the kill hole and now get better shots at the mallards. IMO visibility wins over realism 95% of the time.

People tend to forget that a duck has a brain the size of a peanut, doesn't have the ability to reason. They don't see drake decoys in early season and think "those birds shouldn't have full color". They do not have a humanlike brain and did not go to college or boot camp. They react with instinct and to imminent danger that they see like a hunters face or movement in a poorly camo'd blind. Think about it guys, a human brain is measured in pounds, a ducks brain is measured in grams.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Odd?
    I have about 14 Canada floaters.... 12 yard gap and a dozen fully flocked mallards.
    Ducks seem to favor landing close to the duck decoys on most occasions.

10. Billy Bob

Again, instinct. Many times geese chase ducks but the ducks are still attracted by them because they are large.