Heavy vs light loads in duck boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Lee Pierson, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I always think of a light hunting load being something like a dog, blind bag, gun, maybe two dozen deeks and a heavy load being the boat can fit one single more thing in it cause its so packed full of stuff.

Ringbill likes this.
  2. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Light=me(225) 3 dozen herters, 18 bigfoot floater, hardside blind. Early season alone

Heavy= Me, 2 others(275, 300+) 3 sneak boats, 3 dozen herters, 18 bigfoots, a dozen cans, 2 dozen bills. Late season

Gatortrax 1662 with MB 37 EFI

Ringbill likes this.
  3. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

Dunno about other areas, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of the boats going duck hunting that I see are loaded over the boat's rated weight capacity. Some boats can handle the additional weight with ease while others . . almost sink. I don't get on big water or the ocean. All of my hunting is Mississippi bottomland stuff. YMMV

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

While I take all the requisite safety gear- never skimp on that- I keep trying to simplify and reduce weight wherever I can. Just lost another 6 lbs. this summer. Keep thinking of getting a lighter battery for my glorified lawnmower motor and a jump box instead of the std. marine battery I have. My tool box gets re-inventoried each year but you always need to be ready. Luckily I don't need a lot of decoys, my PVC frame blind suffices for down here, don't need a heater but sure need plenty of ice!

Ringbill likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

This reminds me of a funny story. A few summers ago we were set on building a wood blind on a very small island that was about the size of a average living room x2. So we laid my buddy's 14 foot narrow jon boat , full stacked high, with 4x4 posts, plywood, tools, Deadman, 2x4's chock full. No doubt way overloaded. So we both jump in, I have a case of beer and sitting all the way up in the bow. So we get going and the conversation while popping beer after beer is the lack of freeboard this boat suddenly had. We literally had but a few inches. I said not to worry, if water starts coming in and start to swamp, we'll just throw some wood overboard near the edge of the lake to lighten the load , the weeds will hold it there and we'll come back. It was on a very calm lake in summer. Were going along and my feet are suddenly feeling water, its coming in. Upon inspection, water was streaming in some holes drilled in the bow up near he gunnel that until today never bothered anyone. So I moved back a bit to raise the bow and bail with one hand and hold my beer in the other. Made it just fine. Worked like beavers and built the blind in a few hours.Even painted it and added steel fencing for brush. Spent an additional hour admiring our artwork, no doubt the beer added to the sense of appreciation and numerous atta boys to the conversation.

Ringbill, GUNNERX2 and Fowler267 like this.
  6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

As mentioned throughout, it will depend on your boat size & what all yur loading in there. Basically as mentioned, IF you have more room for another guy, a few more bags of decoys & some other small empty spaces, yur probably loaded ok. If not, yur loaded up near max. Once you get near MAX, yur giving up some free board & safety in tougher conditions.
    Been there ---done it---don't like it !

Ringbill

7. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

My typical hunting load with batteries, guns, dog, decoys, everything needed for a hunt with 2 men averages right at 1300 pounds total. That includes boat and motor. So that would be gross weight.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

9. Blake Johnson

Blake Johnson Refuge Member

Danny, what size boat are you using?

10. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

Thank You. I run a 1556.